West Yorkshire League: Victorious City leave it late to net points

Matthew Dorran lines up a shot for Pool against Altofts.
Matthew Dorran lines up a shot for Pool against Altofts.
Have your say

Leeds City came out on top of their crucial clash with title contenders Beeston St Anthony’s victorious at the weekend, although they left it late to secure the points, writes Andy Donley.

Beeston’s Matt Jackson saw red within the first half-hour, but his team-mates appeared to be hanging on for a goalless draw until the final five minutes, when Leeds scored twice to break the 10 men’s hearts.

Leeds’ week got even better when leaders Field had their momentum halted by Wetherby Athletic.

Field had won their previous 10 matches in a row, but a Jonathon Hadley goal ensured that Wetherby left with a share of the points. Goals from Nicky Seed, Daniel Maw and Michaell Hall ensured that Bardsey retained second place, as they beat struggling Boroughbridge 3-0.

Robin Hood Athletic and Ripon City played out an entertaining fixture, but it was Robin Hood who went home happy, as they triumphed 3-2. Tinotenda Chibharo, James Finlayson and Scott Murgatroyd scored the goals for the home side, as defeated Ripon remain second from bottom.

Hunslet Club earned a point against Brighouse Old Boys despite Omri Linfoot seeing red. Jonathan Grayston scored for Hunslet in the 1-1 draw.

Carlton Athletic moved back to the top of the tightly contested Division One, beating Headingley AFC 2-1 to take advantage of the fact that rivals Thornhill saw their home tie against Howden Clough postponed.

Second-half goals from Thomas Fleming and Nicholas Hewitt ensured that Pool remain well-placed to move into first if they can win their games in hand, as they beat relegation-threatened Altofts 2-0.

Swillington Saints and Whitkirk Wanderers shared the points in a 2-2 draw, with Saints’ Danny Waite and Adam Wood netting to earn their side an eighth draw in 13 games.

Ben Turner’s goal was not enough to secure Old Modernians any points at Old Centralians, with the home-sides’ Joe Cox and Chris Hunter netting in a 2-1 success.

Division Two’s bottom-side Fryston scored a goal in either half to secure a priceless victory against relegation rivals Middleton Park. Fryston remain bottom of the table, but they are now level on points with Middleton, after goals by Liam Cooper and Michael Corr clinched a 2-0 win.

Scott Carter starred with a brace as Rothwell Town beat Barwick 2-1, whilst Ossett Common Rovers consigned Great Preston to their third straight defeat, beating them 2-0 in their own back yard.

In the Alliance Division One, an Andrew Crowther goal was not enough to prevent Ilkley Town Reserves from slipping to a 4-1 home defeat at the hands of Leeds City Reserves.

Substitute Adam Jones made the difference as East End Park Reserves narrowly overcame Field Reserves 3-2.

Ben Baker and Jack Webster got the goals for Field, but Jones came off the bench to snatch the winner, after further goals from Anthony Coates and Craig Nicholson. Horbury Town Reserves regained the number one spot in the Alliance Division Two, thrashing struggling Garforth Rangers Reserves 5-1.

Aron Kennedy scored a brace for Horbury, who are above Barwick reserves on goal difference, despite having five games in hand on their rivals. Hall Green United Reserves’ Clifton Firth and Jake Wassell scored two apiece as their side overcame Ripon City Reserves 4-2, whilst Wyke Wanderers Reserves beat Rothwell Town Reserves 2-0.

There were 1-1 draws in the matches between both Otley Town Reserves and Baildon Trinity Athletic Reserves, and Sherburn White Rose Reserves and Howden Clough Reserves.