West Yorkshire League: Promoted Hunslet net major scalp

Joel Freeston
Joel Freeston
Have your say

Newly-promoted Hunslet Club carried on their promising start to the Premier Division season with a 3-2 victory over last season’s champions Bardsey on Saturday, writes ANDY DONLEY.

Ryan Grant, Jonathon Grayston and Gareth Groves scored the goals, as Hunslet moved into second place in the table, following on from their 3-1 victory over East End Park last Wednesday. Bardsey meanwhile suffered their second disappointing result of the season so far, after failing to build on their first win of the campaign which came ealier in the week via a 2-0 victory over Boroughbridge.

Field continued their electric start to the season, with a 5-0 away victory over East End, who are yet to secure a point this season. Nicholas Doherty banged in four goals for Field, who have scored 12 unanswered goals in the first three matches of the season. Daniel Cunningham claimed the fifth.

Boroughbridge also remain ponitless after three games, after last season’s runners-up Beeston St Anthony consigned them to a 3-1 defeat, with Matthew Jackson, Matthew Moon and Stephen Crawford finding the back of the net.

Beeston are level on six points with Robin Hood Athletic, who were victorious when the two teams met on Wednesday. However, Robin Hood struggled to a 3-1 defeat to Ripon City at the weekend, where Ben Jones scored twice and Kyle Fox once for the hosts.

Oxenhope Recreation and Leeds City played out an exciting 3-3 draw. Michael Garnett, Craig Morris and Leroy Hickman scored for Oxenhope, but City’s James Hochstrasser, Charles Lumley and Steven Tierney secured a point for the visitors.

The match was the second draw in four days for Leeds City, who were held to a goalless draw by Wetherby Athletic midweek, whilst Oxenhope’s tie versus Otley Town was abandoned.

Otley Town’s weekend fixture was also a 0-0 stalemate, away against Brighouse Old Boys, who lost their first points of the season after they beat Shelley 2-1 midweek.

The final weekend game saw Horbury Town continue their pointless start to the season, as Edmore Murau scored the winner for visiting Knaresborough Town, who followed up on their 3-3 away draw against Ripon in midweek, when Joel Freeston scored a hat-trick.

A full round of fixtures tonight will see Leeds City travel to early strugglers Boroughbridge, unbeaten Field host Shelley and Otley Town visit Knaresborough Town.

In Division One, Stanley United maintained their 100 per cent record at the expense of Headingley AFC, who have lost their opening three fixtures. Ashley Munton scored a brace for Stanley, with Paul Shea also finding the net for the early pace-setters.

Carlton Athletic dropped thier first points of the season, as they drew 2-2 against Wyke Wanderers, who have now drawn their opening three fixtures and whose goalscorers included Aiden Day and Joseph Walshe.

Goals from Jamie Davies and Jamie Scott were not enough to stop Swillington Saints from falling to a 4-2 defeat at home against Old Modernians, who secured their first victory of the season so far.

Howden Clough are unbeaten after their opening two fixtures, after Stefan Godbold, Andrew Griffiths and Mark Heseldin fired them to a 3-1 victory over Aberford Albion.

Old Centralians came out on top of their fixture against Altofts, with Laurie Power and Christopher Ward netting for Centralians, and Javed Hussain scoring what eventually turned out to be little more than a consolation for the visitors.

Whitkirk Wanderers and Ilkley Town played out a 1-1 draw in the weekends final fixture,

All 16 teams are due to play tonight, with the early leaders travelling to face Howden Clough, and Headingley AFC and Altofts will be looking for their first points of the season with fixtures away against Old Centralians and Carlton Athletic respectively.

Three of Division Two’s seven fixtures were lost to the weather, with Fryston v Barwick, Glasshoughton Welfare v Hall Green United and Great Preston v Yorkshire Amateur all being postponed.

However, the remaining four fixtures returned 23 goals in an exciting weekend of action.

Garforth Rangers smashed six past Kellingley Welfare, with Matthew Marshall scoring a double, and Ashley Bell, Matthew Eaglen, Shaun O’Neill and Craig Phelan all chipping in. Nathan Hutchinson pulled one back to restore a modicum of pride to the scoreline, but the damage was already done.

Rothwell Town also shipped six to Normanton Woodhouse Hill. Scott Turner scored two for Rothwell, but Normanton had too much for the hosts, and are now top of the table after winning their first two matches of the season.

Elsewhere, the other two matches to be completed ended in draws, with Ossett Common Rovers and Baildon Trinity Athletic sharing six goals in an entertaining fixture.

Lee Keisey’s strike secured Sherburn White Rose a point away against Middleton park to round up the weekends action.

Three teams will be looking to continue their unbeaten starts to the season tonight in Division Two, with Yorkshire Amateur facing Mount St. Mary’s, Normanton Woodhouse Hill playing Hall Green United, and Hartshead facing Ossett.

There were five fixtures concluded in the Alliance Division One, with Wetherby Athletic Reserves v Brighouse Old Boys Reserves the only match falling foul to the weather.

Goals from Adam Potter and Jonathon Wilson were not enough to stop Leeds City Reserves from falling to a first loss of the season, a 3-2 defeat at the hands of Headingley AFC Reserves.

Danny Walker scored two in a 3-0 victory for Hunslet Club Reserves against Field Reserves, with Ryan Gosney scoring the other.

Boroughbridge Reserves opened their account for the season courtesy of a 2-1 win against Ilkley Town Reserves, with Luke Fletcher and Steve Warburton on target for the victors, and Lewis Wilkinson bagging Ilkley’s effort.

Robin Hood Athletic Reserves also picked up their first points of the campaign with a 2-1 victory, with Paul Stafford amongst the scorers.

William Lee scored the only goal in the final fixture of the weekend, to help Oxenhope Recreation Reserves to a 1-0 win over Beeston St. Anthony’s Reserves.

A further five fixtures were played in the Alliance Division Two, where the one postponement was the fixture between Sherburn White Rose Reserves and Rothwell Town Reserves.

Ripon City Reserves are the first team to six points, after a 3-1 victory which contained a brace from Stephen Hodgson and a Daniel Edmunds strike.

Simon Fagan scored a late winner for Wyke Wanderers in their 3-2 triumph over Baildon Trinity Athletic Reserves, with Gareth Gilmartin and Adam Shefta also on the scoresheet for Wykes. Grant Bligh and Jordan Wagstaff contributed to a 3-1 victory for Pool Reserves over Middleton Park Reserves.

Horbury Town Reserves opened their campaign with a 5-1 away thumping of Otley Town Reserves. The final match in this round of fixtures saw Kippax Reserves and Barwick Reserves share the points with a 2-2 draw.

Aimi Beresford bagged a decisive brace for Brighouse in the 3-2 win over Bolton Wanderers.

Women’s Football: Vixens give survival hopes huge shot in the arm