West Yorkshire League: Pool sink Wyke with second-half goals feast

Action from Barwick v Middleton Park.
Action from Barwick v Middleton Park.
Have your say

Pool continued their string of strong performances with yet another convincing victory at Wyke Wanderers on Saturday.

Despite a goalless first half, Pool ran out 4-0 winners away from home, edging them further up the Premier Division, where they currently sit in fifth.

Secretary Peter Wilkinson is delighted with the progress his team are making in their first campaign back in the top flight since promotion from Division One last season.

“We started the season with an initial aim to consolidate back in the Premier Division but our current position and form has us looking at potential better things,” said Wilkinson.

“Paul Newsome along with the coaching staff are doing a great job with the lads and with our recent performances we want to aim a little higher. I’m really happy with them.”

Although Pool dominated possession for the majority of the game, Wyke held them to a frustrating goalless first half and with very few chances on target, the game looked set to be a dull encounter. The deadlock was finally broken early in the second half however through an unfortunate own goal as Neil Ebdon’s corner was converted in a scrap in the six-yard box. From then on, the chances came in thick and fast for the visitors and they quickly doubled their tally through Edbon a long-range effort. Thomas Fleming then made it three when he netted home with his left foot drive before Steven Preston’s close-range effort well and truly sealed the 4-0 victory for Pool. “Our form has continued from our promotion last season,” said Wilkinson.

“We have much the same squad who got us here and they know each other very well and get on well so it’s no wonder we’re doing so well. But doing well creates pressure, especially when you find yourself in such a promising position, I think the whole club feel we could go and do really well this year.”

“We can’t get carried away though, the team need reminding to take all opposition as the best and not be complacent, the game plan going into each game is the same, we have the same mission. Wyke were no bad team, and could easily have derailed us had we not been on the ball. The determination to win and desire for the ball is so important and thankfully we delivered that on Saturday.

“Our main focus this year is the league; I think a top three finish is well within our potential so we should be aiming as high as possible.

“A cup run is always good for the club and an enjoyable break from league football though so by no means are we ignoring that.

“Our best effort in the County Cup so far was a quarter-final, so bettering that would be another goal.”

Elsewhere on Saturday, Field climbed to the top of the table in spectacular fashion as they beat Shelley 8-2 thanks to goals from Aiden Day, Joshua Milner (2), Josh Penn, Christopher Wood and Alex O’Keefe (2).

Horbury Town also brought home three points with their 4-1 win at Knaresborough Town. Goals came from Lamin Bojang (2), Tom Dews and Michael Hall. Oxenhope Recreation and Wetherby Athletic were forced into sharing the spoils in their 1-1 clash while Otley Town fell short to Brighouse Old Boys who ran out 2-0 winners.

All the other teams in the Premier Division had their attention averted from the league while in District Cup action.


STANLEY United moved four points clear at the top of Division One after edging another 1-0 success – this time at home to Baildon Trinity Athletic,

One week on from a 1-0 triumph at Aberford Albion, substitute Ashley Downing bagged the only goal of the game to make it seven wins from Stanley’s opening eight games.

Ilkley Town blew the chance to go second as they were chinned 2-0 by visiting Aberford Albion who were claiming their second win of the season.

And Kippax also bagged their second three-point haul of the season through a 4-0 triumph at home to Sherburn White Rose.

In the division’s only other game on Saturday, a Jamie Dyas strike gave Featherstone Colliery a 1-0 verdict at Thornhill.

That was also Fev’s second success of the season with Ripon City now four points adrift of the rest at the bottom of the table.

Huddersfield Amateur are now leading the way in Division Two after a 3-1 win at home to Ossett Common Rovers. Mathew Parker was at the double for the hosts who also had Jonathan Crowther on the mark.

Former leaders Great Preston were held to a 3-3 draw by visiting Ossett Albion with a Callum Harrison double and Anthony Dickinson strike not quite enough for the hosts.

Howden Clough are fourth after a 6-3 defeat of visiting Rothwell Town in which George Broom bagged a treble for the hosts. Benjamin Richards and Ashley Timms were both sent off for the visitors.