West Yorkshire League: Pool out to pot top-six finish

Match action from Whitkirk Wanderers v Ilkely in the West Yokshire League.
Match action from Whitkirk Wanderers v Ilkely in the West Yokshire League.
Have your say

UPWARDLY mobile Pool have set their sights on a top-six finish at worst after a seventh win of the West Yorkshire League Premier Division campaign.

Pool recorded a 2-0 victory at home to third-bottom Wyke Wanderers with Steve Preston pouncing on a goalmouth scramble to open the scoring.

Max Drake’s unstoppable long-range effort then bounced in off the crossbar to grab a second-half second, and secretary Peter Wilkinson hopes the current rise is only just the start.

While the top four all have at least two games in hand on Pool, the Arthington Lane side are only eight points off second.

“We are still looking at a top-six finish at the very least,” Wilkinson explained.

“However, we are exactly halfway through the season now, so if we can maintain our form, a top-three finish is still not out of the question. The lads have certainly done us proud so far. We have put in some stylish performances, but, crucially, ground out results when things were not going well

“We have come back from the weather-enforced break with two convincing victories and two clean sheets, so confidence is high, but we are not complacent. Our management team, Paul Newsome, Matthew Norris and Rob Field ensured that our squad continued to meet and train over the period keeping up our fitness and camaraderie and it’s showing in games.

“There is no doubt that success breeds success so whatever happens this season will have a major bearing on future campaigns.”

Leeds City moved fourth with a 3-0 success at home to Otley Town as Mitchell Cameron’s brace accompanied Ciaran Mallon’s goal. Horbury Town dropped to fifth after losing 2-0 at home to Wetherby Athletic who struck through Joshua Wilson and Thomas Hesketh.

Shelley obliged 2-1 at Knaresborough Town with Liam Berry and Doran Jordan overriding Matthew Thompson’s effort.

Division One leaders Stanley United lost for only the second time this season in a 3-1 loss at home to Headingley who netted through Antony Friend, Lewis Keating and Conor Murphy. Second-placed Whitkik Wanderers closed in on the leaders with a 3-0 win at home to Ilkley Town while Boroughbridge moved fourth with a 2-0 triumph at home to Feathersone Colliery, Darren Simpson and James Tucknott netting.

Leeds Moderanians blitzed hosts Thornhill 6-2 while Aberford Albion beat visiting Ripon City 3-2 thanks to a brace from Joe Walton and Thomas Carter’s strike.

In Division Two, Howden Clough edged an amazing 7-6 thriller at Kellingley Welfare thanks to doubles from Kyle Laycock and Andrew Griffiths plus strikes from Dwain Clark, Matthew Robinson and Calvin Rowe. Leaders Hall Green United were shocked 4-1 at Ossett Albion who netted through Alex Ferguson, James Ferguson, Sam Jackson and Dominic Simpson.

Middleton Park won 2-0 at Garforth Rangers as Hayden Maude and Jordan Tate notched while Huddersfield Amateur drew 2-2 with Altofts with Daniel Jarvis’ brace cancelled out by strikes from Mathew Parker and Jonathan Crowther.

In the League Cup second round, Barwick were blitzed 7-1 at Robin Hood Athletic who were seven up thanks to a Scott Murgatroyd hat-trick and a Jack Fisher brace plus goals from Curtis Aston and Matthew Gould.

Hunslet Club also beat visiting Sherburn White Rose 3-1 in round three.