West Yorkshire League: Leaders Field make the most of City’s slip-up

Leeds City captain Leroy McIntosh is sent off for two bookable fouls at Hunslet Club.
Leeds City captain Leroy McIntosh is sent off for two bookable fouls at Hunslet Club.
Have your say

Leeds City lost ground at the top of the West Yorkshire Football League this weekend, after they were held to a 2-2 draw by Hunslet Club, writes ANDY DONLEY.

James Hochstrasser and Steven Tierney got the goals for City, but Hunslet held their own against a Leeds side who had been on storming form in recent weeks.

Early pacesetters Field took advantage of the Leeds result via another thumping victory, this time 5-1 away against Knaresborough Town.

Daniel Cunningham was the hero for Field, as he led the way with a fine hat-trick, with Daniel Illingworth and Daryll Leach rounding off the scoring.

Beeston St Anthony’s and Robin Hood Athletic are level on points with Leeds City, but the two sides enjoyed differing fortunes on Saturday.

Robin Hood secured a narrow 1-0 away victory against Boroughbridge, with Graham Marchant the match-winner, whilst a Tom Dews double helped Horbury Town to secure an unlikely win in Beeston.

Ripon City continued to struggle, as they slipped to their sixth defeat in the opening eight games, falling to a narrow 2-1 defeat at Brighouse Old Boys.

Sean Quinlan bagged himself a treble to help Oxenhope Recreation overcome Bardsey 3-0, and the game between Wetherby Athletic and Otley Town ended in a 1-1 draw, with Jack Emmett scoring for the hosts, and Toby Harris bagging Otley’s effort.

Division One saw plenty of action once again, with the highlight being a nine-goal thriller between Kippax and Thornhill.

Richard Jackson’s hat-trick for home-side Kippax was not enough to secure his side any points, as Lee Brook went one better and scored four for Thornhill, who came out 5-4 winners.

Pool kept yet another clean sheet, as they thrashed Old Centralians 5-0, with Maxwell Drake (two), Robert Cross, Steven Preston and Alex Davies-Koudos all getting goals.

Wyke Wanderers top the table, after they beat Headingley AFC 2-1, despite Headingley going into half-time on top. Pool and Ilkley, who didn’t play this week, could replace Wanderers if they win their game in hand however.

Carlton Athletic emerged victorious from another epic match, as they beat bottom-placed Featherstone Colleries 4-3. Andrew Payne’s two goals proved decisive for Carlton who sit third, whilst it is Featherstone’s leaky defence which is causing them problems, after they conceded 22 goals in their first six matches.

Benjamin Andrew’s double helped Stanley United record a 4-2 win over Altofts, a result which saw them nestle in the middle of a pack of six teams at the top of the table, all seperated by three points.

In the weekend’s remaining fixtures, Old Modernians and Aberford Albion drew 3-3, and Swillington Saints and Howden Clough saw their match finish 1-1.

In Division Two, Mount St. Mary’s condemned Glasshoughton Welfare to a miserable afternoon, punishing them with a 9-0 beating, with Callum Woodhouse helping himself to a hat-trick.

Great Preston tasted defeat for the first time this season, as they were on the wrong end of a 3-2 scoreline at Hartshead, who moved above them into second place.

It is Garfoth who now lead the way, after they made hard work out of their home tie against Yorkshire Amateur, eventually taking the three points with a 5-4 victory,

Scott Carter’s brace helped Rothwell Town submit Ossett Common Rovers to a fourth loss in five matches, with Rothwell winning 3-0.

Normanton Woodhouse and Sherburn White Rose played out an entertaining 2-2 draw in their tie, and Fryston and Kellingley Welfare’s tie saw the same result.

In the final two fixtures, Barwick scored in both halves to beat Middleton Park 2-0, and Baildon Trinity Athletic and Hall Green United cancelled each other out in a goalless draw.

Barrie Frankland. PIC: Steve Riding

Park Life: Five-star HT Sports flying flag for Leeds in West Riding FA County Sunday Cup final