West Yorkshire League: Goals shy neighbours no match for Altofts

Altofts' 'Connor Burton scores past Normanton Woodhouse Hill goalkeeper Ryan Ward. PIC: Steve Riding
Altofts' 'Connor Burton scores past Normanton Woodhouse Hill goalkeeper Ryan Ward. PIC: Steve Riding
Have your say

Altofts stole the show in Division Two on Saturday with a dominant 5-0 win at Normanton Woodhouse Hill.

Now sitting a commendable fifth with three games in hand after an impressive run of form, the Altofts club have their sights on the title and promotion success.

Manager, Richard Huskins is delighted with the progress his squad are making and says their recent run has inspired bags of confidence in the dressing room.

“We have a very young squad but with performances like that, they are starting to believe we can get promoted.” Huskins said.

“Every single player played to the best of their ability on Saturday; we were clinical in front of goal and defended brilliantly as a team, it was great to watch.”

Connor Burton’s hat-trick was at the heart of a ruthless display from Altofts who dominated from the off. Burton opened the scoring after just five minutes with a 25-yard screamer before completing his hat-trick either side of two brilliantly taken strikes from Jamie Lister and Reece Whittam.

“We wanted to take the game to them because we knew with the game being a local derby that it would be a battle but we knew we had to win the battles.”

He continued. “Even with a comfortable lead at half-time, we didn’t take anything for granted as we knew they would be fired up for the second period after a team talk. I have been involved in football for a long time; I know how quickly a game can change so I am proud of how we continued to control the game.

“It would be a great achievement to get the club promoted but it’s a long season, we can’t get carried away. When I took over the role in May the committee set a target of a top-half finish with stability and development of the younger players the main aim but now I think we’re looking to aim higher.

He added: “The only pressure there is though comes from Keith my assistant and myself wanting to do our best for the club and the great bunch of players we have.”

Swillington Saints also ran riot in Division Two, two braces from Jamie Davies and Callum Pilkington accompanied goals from Thomas Day and Kieran Turnbull in a 6-2 win over Ossett Common Rovers. Mount St Mary’s were also in action, bagging three points over Great Preston. Lewis Coyle’s hat-trick accompanied Jordan Talbot’s strike to secure a 4-1 win. Hall Green United also provided goals; Clifton Firth, John Moore and Luke Pryde(2) all bagged in their 4-1 win at Rothwell Town.

Meanwhile in Division One, East End Park jumped to second place with a 5-2 win at home to Kippax while Featherstone Colliery bagged the spoils in a 2-0 win over Baildon Trinity Athletic.

All Premier Division games on Saturday were postponed while the West Yorkshire representative side travelled to West Cheshire in the Inter League Cup. Despite the score being level going into the interval after a first period that saw the two sides cancel each other out, the impressive looking West Yorkshire squad ran out 2-1 winners.

A goal in the second half decided the spoils for the squad to progress once more into the next round.

Elsewhere, in District Cup action on Saturday Otley Town defeated Horsforth St Margaret’s A 5-0, Brighouse Old Boys also enjoyed a 5-0 win at Sowerby Bridge and Oxenhope Recreation were 3-1 winners at Steeton. Aberford Albion enjoyed a 6-3 victory over Garforth Rangers while Ilkley Town progressed to the next round 5-4 on penalties against Rawdon OB after the game had finished 2-2.

Ripon City were also penalty kings, winning 5-3 against Kirkby Malzeard after the match had finished 2-2. Also in the District Cup, Sherburn White Rose defeated Barwick 4-1, Walton beat Stanley 6-4 after extra time and Whitkirk got the better of Alwoodley 6-5 on penalties after a 3-3 draw in normal time.

Huddersfield Amateur progressed to the next round with a 3-1 victory over Holmfield while Aberford Albion Reserves were 3-2 winners at Church Fenton White Horse Reserves.

Beeston St Anthony’s Reserves got the better of stablemates Beeston St Anthony’s III 3-1 after extra-time.

And Old Centralians Reserves eased to a comfortable 6-2 win at Carlton Athletic Reserves.

In the West Riding County Challenge Cup competition Knaresborough Town moved into the next round with a 2-1 victory over BerryBrow at Manse Lane.


There were a host of one-sided affairs in cup matches involving West Riding County Amateur teams last weekend, writes ALEX MILLER.

Taylors Timber Premier League table toppers Huddersfield YMCA were the most heavy handed.

They continued their red-hot form, cruising past Tyersal 8-0 the West Riding County FA Challenge Cup.

Daniel Naidole was chief destroyer as he blasted four goals, whilst Danny Stocker and Andy Salm claimed two apiece, putting YMCA into the third round.

It was men against boys in the Heavy Woollen District FA Challenge Cup as well, as Littletown smashed Driglington Juniors for six. Matt Bugg, Joe Jagger, Rob Knight, Blake Maude and Lee McKeown shared the goals, McKeown claiming two, as Drig were soundly beaten.

Over to Huddersfield, where in the Huddersfield & District FA Challenge Cup, Golcar United produced a vintage second-half display to see off AFC Lindley 4-2. Golcar conceded two Daniel Wright goals and trailed 2-1 at the break, but a brace from Callum Meade along with strikes from Max Leonard and Thomas Willans were enough to take Golcar into the second round. The win signals a turnaround in form for United and takes them to three consecutive wins in league and cup, following an October slump.

There was another 6-0 thrashing at Horsforth St Margarets, whose Reserve side were on the receiving end of an imperious Route One Rovers performance. A hat-trick for Abdul Hakimaz, a brace from Awais Khan and another from Taj Askar provided the goals for Route One, whose fine form continues.

Elsewhere, Oxenhope Recreation’s hopes of adding to their two Keighley & District FA Challange Cup titles are still alive as they produced an impressive second-half display to sail past a lacklustre Steeton, winning 3-1.


A four-goal salvo from Jonathon Bullivant did much of the damage for Lepton Highlanders on Saturday as they kept up the pressure on Premier Division table toppers Huddersfield YMCA with a 5-1 win at hapless Kirkburton, writes ALEX MILLER.

Joshua Cooke scored the other goal for Lepton, whilst James Capewell claimed a consolation goal for the home side, who remain 11th in the table.

There were goals aplenty in the only Division One fixture as Overthorpe SC saw off Steeton Reserves 6-3.

A brace for Jack Allerton and goals from Lewis Ward, Steven Jordan and Reece Patterson hit Steeton for six whilst goals for Casey Dowthwaite, Andrew Briggs and Kyle Fox gave the scoreline respectablity.

The result leaves Overthorpe fourth in a tightly congested top half of the table, with goal-shy Steeton in 10th.

In Division Two, braces from Abid Khan and Shazaib Hussain, along with goals from Asif Iqbal and Faisal Shabir, kept free scoring TVR United on the promotion trail with a win at Littletown Reserves. On the downside for TVR, their leaky defence continued to ship goals as strikes from Keiron Senior, Adam Forbes and Adam Jordan left the final score at 6-3.

Elsewhere in Division Two, Bradford FC bounced back from a heavy defeat at Route One Rovers, edging out Salts Reserves in an important 2-1 win. The victory moves Bradford four points clear of Salts in the lower mid-table, whilst Salts are left looking over their shoulder towards league strugglers Littletown and Lower Hopton, who Bradford FC will face this weekend.