West Yorkshire League: Field hold nerve to see off title hopefuls

Action from Hunslet Club Reserves v Beeston St Anthony's Reserves.
Action from Hunslet Club Reserves v Beeston St Anthony's Reserves.
Have your say

LEEDS CITY’S dreams of stealing the Premier Division title were dashed after a 4-2 loss at Field, with silverware going to the Bradford-based outfit.

City’s chances of taking the championship looked a long shot, heading into the final few games and Field held their nerve with a home triumph, with Daniel Cunningham netting two goals for the victors.

Curtis McMahon and substitute Tom Ponter also struck for the winners, with goals from Joe Dixon and Jason Miller in vain for City.

Meanwhile, Beeston St Anthony’s ended the season with a swagger and secured themselves a third-placed finish in the process with an emphatic 6-1 drubbing of Knaresborough.

Stephen Crawford and Sean Jeavons led the way with doubles for Beeston, whose tally was augmented by strikes from Ryan Thorpe and Ben Haigh.

Robert Mortimer netted a consolation for Town.

The goals flowed at Oxenhope Recreation, who came out on top 9-6 in an incredible end-of-season encounter with Robin Hood Athletic on Monday.

Jonathan Grayston ended the season in sublime fashion, firing a treble in Hunslet Club’s 3-1 win at Boroughbridge, whose marksman was Paul Eagling.

Second-from-bottom Ripon City ended the campaign on a positive note on home soil, winning by the odd goal in five against Oxenhope Rec on Saturday, with Oliver Metcalfe and Daniel Moriarty on the scoresheet for the visitors.

Home scorers were Luca Crompton and Duncan Terry (2).

Joseph O’Neill blasted a hat-trick for Division One champions Carlton Athletic, who finished a rewarding campaign with a 3-2 win over runners-up Pool, whose scorers were Matt Nebard and Steven Preston.

Headingley end the finish in fourth after a 3-0 win at Howden Clough, while Aberford Albion and Featherstone Colliery shared the spoils in a 2-2 draw, with Kyle Pearson and Kyle Sambrook netting for Feath.

Joshua Brough’s goal couldn’t stop Wyke Wanderers losing 3-1 at Kippax, while goals from Richard Schofield and Tom Smith saw Ilkley Town prevail 2-1 at Stanley United, whose goal arrived from sub Ashley Downing.

A late goal from sub Robbie Campbell enabled Old Centralians to crown safety with a 3-2 win at relegated Swillington Saints, whose goals came from Michael Hick and Adam Wood.

Hunslet Club Reserves missed out on the Alliance Division One title after a 2-1 loss to Beeston St Anthony’s Reserves on Monday night.

This came after Hunslet’s 3-2 weekend win over Oxenhope Reserves through goals from Innocent Huly, Jack O’Malley and Danny Walker.

Wetherby Athletic ended their season with a 6-1 routing of Brighouse Old Boys Reserves, with sub Neil Dickie (2), Brian Blewitt, Andrew Duffy, Matthjew Lombard and Andrew Maxted scoring.

And there were more celebrations on Monday when Hunslet’s loss secured the title for them.

Matthew Boyes and Paul McMullen hit doubles with Aaron Connor, Andrew Tate and Aaron Connor netting in Beeston St Anthony’s Reserves’ 7-0 routing of Whitkirk Wanderers.

Ian Noble (2) and Harvey Atkinson netted in Pool Reserves’ 3-1 Alliance Division Two verdict at struggling outfit Garforth Rangers.