West Yorkshire League: Field fail to handle in-form Marchant

Action from Whitkirk Wanderers v Aberford. PIC: Steve Riding
Action from Whitkirk Wanderers v Aberford. PIC: Steve Riding
Have your say

ROBIN Hood Athletic condemned Premier Division leaders Field to only their third defeat of the season on Saturday as a 4-1 home victory intensified the top-flight title race.

Graham Marchant scored all four goals for mid-table Athletic and Field will now be looking over their shoulders.

Champions Bardsey arrested their recent slump with a 1-0 victory at Shelley, with Steven Palfrey scoring the game’s only goal in the second half.

And Horbury Town remain in second after their comprehensive 5-0 win at Otley Town. The prolific Gibril Bojang added another two strikes to his tally whilst Daniel Cooper and Liam Mills were also on the scoresheet.

Wetherby Town triumphed against Brighouse Old Boys, moving fifth courtesy of a 4-2 victory. Brighouse’s Richard Heins and Paul Taylor both scored in vain, as a brace from Joe Barden helped Wetherby on their way to a positive result.

Ben Lock scored the only goal of the game as Knaresborough Town beat nine-man Hunslet Club, for whom Gareth Groves and David Pickering were both sent off.

In Division One, Featherstone Colliery defied their position at the foot of the table by thrashing Kippax 5-0.

Leaders Pool picked up three points at struggling Swillington Saints with a 3-1 win whilst Thornhill slipped to a shock 3-2 home defeat at the hands of Altofts.

Wyke Wanderers’ James Stansfield and Joshua Brough scored two apiece as their side beat Howden Clough 6-1, and Stanley United excelled in the second-half at Old Centralians, winning 4-1 after entering the half-time break all square.

Arran Hudson’s double proved the difference as Aberford Albion earned a vital three points with a 3-2 win at Whitkirk Wanderers, whilst Old Modernians beat Ilkley Town 2-1.

Danny Middleton fired in three as Sherburn White Rose continued their rise to the top of Division Two with a 5-1 victory against Kellingley Welfare.

Sherburn’s plight was aided by leaders Hartshead’s slip up at Great Preston, where Anthony Dickinson and Arron Flint scored the goals in a 2-0 win.

Baildon Trinity Athletic survived a second half comeback by Normanton Woodhouse Hill to win 3-2, and Barwick overcame Yorkshire Amateur 2-0. Mount St Mary’s had Jordan Talbot to thank, as his hat-trick earnt his side a crucial 4-2 victory at Hall Green United, and Ossett Common Rovers consigned struggling Middleton Park to a 3-1 defeat.

In the League Cup, goals from James McDaid, Danny Wise and Phillip Myles gave Ripon City a third round 3-0 triumph at Headingley AFC while Garforth Rangers obliged 3-2 in the second round at East End Park. A Matthew Marshall double and Ryan Landricombe strike put Garforth through. In Alliance Division One, Oxenhope Recreation Reserves came out on top against on-form Leeds City reserves, winning 2-1 thanks to a second-half winner from substitute Karl Wellard.

Ilkley Town Reserves fired their way out of the relegation zone with a 5-2 victory over East End Park Reserves. Alan Stockdale and Tom Smith shared the goals, scoring a hat-trick and a brace respectively.

Field Reserves and Headingley AFC Reserves shared the points 2-2, with all the goals being scored in a scintillating second half.

In Alliance Division Two, Horbury Town Reserves continued their inexorable march towards the title, with their 3-2 victory over Hall Green United Reserves leaving them six points clear at the top of the table with five games in hand on their closest rivals.

But they left it late, with Adam Kennedy coming off the bench to score an 88th minute winner.

Middleton Park Reserves are five points adrift at the foot of the table, but earned their second victory of the season courtesy of a 1-0 win at Rothwell Town Reserves. Barwick Reserves maintained a semblance of pressure on Horbury through a 3-1 triumph at Pool Reserves, but Ripon City Reserves lost ground 3-2 at to Kippax Reserves.