West Yorkshire League: East End promise much after shock win

Action from Swillington Saints v Aberford Albion.
Action from Swillington Saints v Aberford Albion.
Have your say

In a week in which West Yorkshire Football League action was limited due to the West Riding County Cup, bottom-placed East End Park secured a fantastic and much-needed three points against Otley Town, writes Andy Donley.

East End had lost 13 of their first 14 fixtures before this weekend, but Alfie Beestin’s hat-trick helped them to a comprehensive 5-1 victory over Otley, with Liam Clark scoring the other two.

Early pacesetters Field extended their lead at the top of the table to 10 points with a 3-1 win against Shelley.

The sides were level at 1-1 at half-time, but Shelley’s Allan Greenwood received a straight red card, allowing Daniel Cunningham and Christopher Wood to seize the initiative for the league leaders.

In the division’s final fixture, Wetherby Athletic overcame nine-man Hunslet Club 4-2.

Hunslet saw John Legge and Liam Young both given their marching orders, and it was Joe Barden who capitilised, scoring a hat-trick to earn his side all three points.

Anees Younis scored a hat-trick for Division One table-toppers Thornhill as they beat Ilkley Town 4-2.

Thornhill were looking comfortable at half-time with a 3-0 lead, but Ilkley’s Daniel Bott and Adam Fowler ensured they had to work for their victory, which leaves them three points clear at the top.

Altofts overcame relegation rivals Featherstone Collieries 3-1 to move off the foot of the table, leaving Featherstone in that position themselves.

Christopher Collinson, Joshua Gill and Matthew Leadbeater scored the goals for Altofts, who secured just their third victory of the season.

Old Modernians and Stanley United shared the points in a game for the neutrals, with the scoreline finishing at 4-4.

Modernians’ Danny Claxton and Ben Turner both bagged braces, but they were denied the three points by Stanley’s Ashley Munton, Adam Hayton and Stuart Davies, who also scored two.

Elsewhere, Swillington Saints are still looking for their first victory of the season, after they were held for the seventh time, 1-1 against Aberford Albion, Thomas Fleming fired a hat-trick for Pool as they comfortably beat Kippax 5-1 and Wyke Wanderers beat Headingley AFC 2-1.

In Division Two, Garforth Rangers missed the chance to move first after they were held to a 1-1 draw by Kellingley Welfare, for whom Robert Anderson found the back of the net.

Meanwhile, Baildon Trinity Athletic kept the pressure on leaders Hartshead – who didn’t play this week – by beating Great Preston 4-0.

Andrew Radosavic did the damage by scoring a double, whilst Ben Craven and Dean Rands also found the net.

Sherburn White Rose continued their impressive form by beating Yorkshire Amateur 2-1, with Lee Granger and Bradley Jordan getting the goals.

At the other end of the table, the division’s bottom two sides both secured vital victories in their fixtures.

Fryston overcame Ossett Common Rovers 2-1 away from home thanks to a Michael Corr brace, whilst Middleton Park beat Normanton Woodhouse Hill 3-2, with Jack Butterfield, Manuel Garcia and Luke Smith all scoring.

Finally, Hall Green United overcame a 2-0 half-time deficit to beat Barwick 4-3. Goals from Clifton Firth, Allan Laud and two from Daniel Empsall secured the turn-around for Hall Green, who mvoe up to sixth.

Beeston St. Anthony’s Reserves claimed a resounding 5-0 away victory over Field Reserves in the Alliance Division One, with Benn Greenwood leading the way for his side by netting twice.

Elsewhere, goals from Daniel Chester and Darren Wickham helped bottom placed Aberford Albion Reserves to a 2-0 victory against Headingley AFC Reserves, whilst Boroughbridge Reserves’ Scott Barnes scored two as his side overcame Robin Hood Athletic Reserves 3-1.

In Alliance Division Two, Barwick Reserves followed up last week’s extraordinary 14-1 victory against Middleton Park Reserves with a more conventional 2-0 triumph over Rothwell Town Reserves.

Sherburn White Rose’s Robert Jackson scored two first half goals to see his side to a 2-0 half-time lead against Otley Town Reserves. However, Otley came roaring back in the second half, with goals from Ben Featherstone, Josh Lester and Andrew Triggs seeing them claim an unlikely 4-2 victory.

Meanwhile, Wyke Wanderers Reserves secured a comfortable 3-0 victory against Garforth Rangers Reserves thanks to goals from Paul Chapman, Hoi-Pin Truong and Cameron Day, whilst Howden Clough Reserves and Kippax Reserves shared the points in an entertaining 2-2 draw.”