West Yorkshire League: Beeston’s blast hurts Bardsey in title race

Match action from Old Modernians v Wyke Wanderers. PIC: Steve Riding
Match action from Old Modernians v Wyke Wanderers. PIC: Steve Riding
Have your say

There was a full round of action in the West Yorkshire Football League this week, and Beeston St Anthony’s took full advantage of their fixture, thrashing second-placed Bardsey 5-0,

Fresh off the back of putting a remarkable 15 past cup opponents FC Headingley last week, Beeston were 3-0 up after 10 minutes, with Bardsey’s misery being further compounded by Steven Palfrey seeing red after just 15 minutes,

Matthew Jackson was the hat-trick hero for Beeston, whose comfortable win leaves them well placed to move into second, after playing their three games in hand.

Field continued their rampant start to the season, with struggling Boroughbridge on the end of a 6-1 drubbing, despite having home advantage.

Michael Mullenger did score for the hosts in the first half –only the ninth goal that parsimonious Field have conceded in their opening 14 fixtures – but the league-leaders struck back with goals from Daniel Cunningham, Joshua Hartley, Daniel Illingworth, John Penn and a brace from Christopher Wood.

Leeds City overcame bottom side East End Park, with two injury-time goals adding the gloss to a hard-fought victory. Gareth Mitchell scored for East End to ensure that they went into half-time within touching distance of their high-flying opponents, but Leroy Mcintosh, Joe Dixon and Barrie Frankland all got onto the scoresheet in the last 15 minutes to secure a 6-1 win that sounds easier than it was.

Elsewhere in the division, Horbury Town triumphed over Otley Town 3-0, with Chris Smith, Daniel Cooper and Gibril Bojang producing the goods, whilst Robin Hood Athletic and Hunslet Club played out an entertaining 2-2 draw.

The two matches between Oxenhope Recreation and Knaresborough Town, and Wetherby Athletic and Brighouse Old Boys, were cancelled due to the weather.

In Division One, the top three sides all kept up their strong form with comfortable victories this week.

League leaders Carlton Athletic put five past Old Centraliens, with Denis Katoro helping himself to a treble in a 5-0 victory.

Thornhill entertained the neutrals in a 6-3 away victory against Howden Clough.

Anees Younis and Lee Brook both scored braces against Clough, who had Samuel Mellor sent off.

Stanley United overcame Ilkley Town 2-1 at Ilkley, with Stuart Davies and Adam Hayton scoring the crucial goals.

In a surprise result, Whitkirk Wanderers secured only their second win of the season, thanks to a 4-0 win at Kippax.

Elsewhere, Headingley FC drew their first game of the season, preventing Swillington Saints from tasting victory for the first time this year, whilst Old Modernians and Wyke Wanderers also shared the points in a 1-1 draw.

The fixtures between Altofts and Aberford Albion, and Featherstone Colliery and Pool were also lost to the weather.

In a surprise result, last week’s Division Two leaders Garforth Rangers were smashed 7-2 by Sherburn White Rose.

In an eventful match, Sherburn’s Danny Middleton and Darrell Young both scored braces, but Jamie Williams saw red, although it did little to affect the course of the match.

Normanton Woodhouse Hill took over top place, although they had to accept a share of the points with resurgent Ossett Common Rovers in a competitive 1-1 draw.

In the Alliance Division One, Leeds City Reserves came out on top of a tight affair with Brighouse Old Boys Reserves 4-3, whilst a Danny Walker hat-trick helped Hunslet Club Reserves on their way to a 5-2 victory over Boroughbridge Reserves.

In Alliance Division Two, Ripon City Reserves maintained their record as the only unbeaten side in the West Yorkshire League, with a 3-2 win against Howden Clough Reserves.

West Yorkshire League: Promoted Newsome targeting top flight at first attempt