West Yorkshire League: Bardsey blitzed by potential usurpers Leeds City

Goalmouth action from Leeds City v Bardsey. PIC: Steve Riding
Goalmouth action from Leeds City v Bardsey. PIC: Steve Riding
Have your say

LEEDS City kept up their chase of Premier Division leaders Field as a 4-1 victory blew away visiting champions Bardsey.

City were 4-0 up at half-time through a brace from Joe Dixon plus goals from Barrie Frankland and Charles Lumley.

Fourth-placed Leeds are now 16 points behind leaders Field with third-placed Bardsey 14 points adrift and with just one game in hand.

Fifth-placed Beeston St Anthony’s are 17 points behind Field with five games in hand after easing to a 5-2 win at seventh-placed Oxenhope Recreation. Two goals from Matthew Moon plus one each from Matthew Jackson, Sean Jevons and Ashley Westcarr sealed the win despite home strikes from Daniel Moriarty and Oliver Metcalfe. Sixth-placed Wetherby Athletic drew 0-0 at third-bottom East End Park.

Horbury Town are second and nine points behind Field but having played the same amount of games as the leaders after Saturday’s 5-0 win at home to Hunslet Club. Gibril Bojang bagged a brace with Tristan Cost, James Taylor and Lamin Bojang getting one each.

Second-bottom Boroughbridge fell 3-1 at home to Otley Town, with a Toby Harris hat-trick proving decisive in the face of a home Stephen Coles strike.

Fourth-bottom Brighouse Old Boys drew 2-2 with mid-table visitors Shelley with Michael Pearson picking up a brace for the hosts and Liam Berry and Daniel Simpson scoring for Shelley.

Field were on League Cup duty and booked a quarter-final at Otley Town with a 3-0 success at home to Robin Hood Athletic, whose Lee Jaques was dismissed. Knaresborough Town progressed past visiting Ripon City with a 2-1 win as goals from Robert Mortimer and Christopher Fairhurst outweighed a Phillip Myles strike.

Division One leaders Pool took another step towards the title with a 1-0 win at Featherstone Colliery with a goal from Thomas Fleming. Second-placed Carlton Athletic also beat visiting Ilkley Town 1-0 while third-placed Wyke Wanderers overcame third-bottom visitors Swillington Saints 2-1 through a Gavin Turner goal and a late winner from Aiden Day. Karl Fawcett was sent off for Wyke who conceded once to Dominic Walton.

Fourth-placed Thornhill fell 2-0 to at home to Headingley but fifth-placed Stanley United sealed a 2-1 win over Old Modernians thanks to a Devan McIntosh double. Ben Turner netted for Modernians.

Bottom club Howden Clough were destroyed by 5-0 at the hands feet of visiting Whitkirk Wanderers.

Old Centralians saw off visiting Kippax 2-1 while Aberford Albion obliged 3-0 at Altofts.

Division Two leaders Hartshead rolled on with a 3-2 triumph at Barwick through an Owen Asquith double and Liam Fox strike. Sherburn White Rose are poised in second after a 3-0 beating of visiting Hall Green United thanks to a Darrell Young brace and Danny Middleton goal. Third placed Baildon Trinity Athletic secured a 2-0 win at home to Middleton as Sean McVey and Daniel Milner both struck. Fourth-placed Mount St Mary’s obliged 2-1 at Great Preston through a Conor Parsons brace in the face of a home James Dean strike.

Elsewhere, fifth-placed Ossett Common Rovers won 2-1 at Rothwell Town whose Thomas Carter hit home.