West Yorkshire: Carlton cut loose twice to secure promotion

Carlton's Liam Moore shields the ball from Stanley United defenders. PIC: Steve Riding
Carlton's Liam Moore shields the ball from Stanley United defenders. PIC: Steve Riding
Have your say

CARLTON ATHLETIC are back in the big time after netting nine goals in two games without reply to seal immediate promotion from Division One.

Calrton enjoyed a 6-0 romp at Featherstone Colliery on Wednesday evening with Liam Moore’s double supported by a goal each from Thomas Greaves, Scott Hargreaves, Andrew Payne and Denis Katoro.

Hargreaves, Reece Fennell and Andrew Payne then all netted in Saturday’s 3-0 triumph at Stanley United which guaranteed a top two berth with four games to go.

Pool are Carlton’s only title dangers and moved to within a point of sealing promotion despite being held to a 1-1 draw by third-placed visitors Wyke Wanderers on Saturday with a Neil Edbon strike not enough for the hosts.

Wyke lost 1-0 at home to Thornhill on Wednesday with Jason Milner getting the winner.

At the other end of the table, Swillington Saints stayed second bottom after Saturday’s 3-2 reverse at home to Thornhill

Jamie Davies and Jon-Paul Sharp scored for the hosts but two goals Connor Hadden and a Jordan Rock strike sealed the victory for Thornhill.

Old Centralians need one more point to ensure they stay out of the bottom two after Saturday’s goalless draw at Whitkirk Wanderers followed Wednesday’s 1-0 loss at fourth-placed Headingley whose Oliver Carter bagged the winner.

Headinley then beat visiting Ikley Town 2-0 on Saturday.

Altofts aided their basement battle with Saturday’s 3-1 triumph at Aberford Albion through goals from Liam Bishop, Iain Blackburn and Joshua Gill.

Howden Clough remain bottom after Saturday’s goalless draw at home to Kippax – a result which followed Clough’s 5-2 loss at Stanley United on Wednesday.

Dwain Clark and Joseph Hanson struck for Clough.

But they were floored by a Devan McIntosh brace plus goals from Stuart Davies, Ben Huntington and Ashley Munton.

In the Premier, Leeds City’s title hopes were dealt a blow in last Tuesday night’s goalless draw with mid-table visitors Robin Hood Athletic. City are now nine points behind leaders Field with two games in hand and a far worse goal difference but the two teams will meet at Field on May 16.

City take on Knaresborough Town in the League Cup final at Knaresborough tomorrow evening.

Ripon City jumped off the foot of the division at local rivals Boroughbridge’s expense with a 3-0 win at home to Shelley thanks to goals from Luca Crompton, Kyle Fox and Duncan Terry.

Fourth-bottom Brighouse Old Boys shared a 3-3 draw with third-bottom visitors East End Park played out a 3-3 draw.

Jake Broadbent, Tom Gorringe and Alex Hallam all bagged for the hosts but Liam Clark, Liam Douglas and Craig Oglive ensured the honours were even.

Fifth won at third as Beeston St Anthony’s obliged 2-0 at Horbury Town.

Fourth-placed champions Bardsey enjoyed a 3-1 win at Knaresborough Town.

Fifth-bottom Hunslet Club, meanwhile, are safe in spite of a 2-1 reverse at home to Otley Town who netted their goals through Scott Cater and James Evison.