West Yorkshire: Bardsey given a stern test by Kippax

Justin Booth of Ossett beats Gareth Knight of Barwick to the ball
Justin Booth of Ossett beats Gareth Knight of Barwick to the ball
Have your say

bardsey extended their lead at the top of the Premier Division with a hard fought 2-1 win over bottom side Kippax.

Kippax, still six points from safety, ran the reigning champions close but a goal apiece from Robert Dickinson and Steven Palfrey ensured the leaders went seven points clear at the top with Leeds City in County Cup action.

Beeston St Anthony’s missed the chance to gain ground on Leeds City in second as they were held to a 2-2 draw at Otley Town.

Carl Feehan and Sean Jevons netted for Beeston but Robert Carr and Tristan Holdsworth were on target as Otley secured a point.

Whitkirk Wanderers remain stuck in the battle for survival as they lost 4-2 to Shelley.

Daniel Simpson and Phil Thommesen both bagged braces for Shelley, who are settled in mid table having played three more games than anyone else.

Boroughbridge won an entertaining game with Horbury Town 4-3 to consolidate their position in seventh.

Mark Atkinson, Lee Geraghty and Chris Smith struck for Horbury Town, who will be wary of being dragged into the relegation mire after this result.

Robin Hood Athletic asserted their Division One title credentials with an 8-0 thrashing of mid table Featherstone Colliery.

James Finlayson led the way with a hat-trick and was ably supported by Graham Marchant, who netted a brace, Scott Murgatroyd, Kris Robertshaw and Jordan Duncan.

Leaders Knaresborough Town continue to hold off the Robin Hood charge after they edged past Old Centralians 3-2.

Joe Cox and Christopher Ward struck for Centralians but substitute Fraser Lancaster bagged a hat-trick to secure a vital win for Knaresborough.

Ilkley Town’s faint hopes of promotion were given a boost on Saturday as they narrowly beat fellow promotion chasers Old Modernians 1-0.

Damian Smith netted the only goal of the game in the second half to send Ilkley ahead of Modernians into third place.

Kellingley Welfare were agonisingly close to a first win of the season against Carlton Athletic but threw away a lead to lose 5-4.

James Bird and Kristopher Sleight netted first half goals as Kellingley went into the break 2-1 up and despite a brace from substitute Del Pollock, Carlton recovered through Mark Connor, Arran Horton, Liam Parker and Denis Katoro, who scored twice, to spare their blushes and keep Kellingley winless.

Only one game was played in Division Two as Swillington Saints squandered the chance to go third as they were held to a 2-2 away at Garforth Rangers.

Joe Fisher and Jamie Scott scored for the Saints but Craig Phelan and Daniel Wiltshire denied them victory.

Wetherby Athletic Reserves remain in the Alliance Division One title hunt after they cruised past stuggling Old Headingley Reserves 4-1.

East End Park Reserves secured a vital win in their quest to avoid the drop as they thrashed bottom of the table Ripon City Reserves 5-0.

Gary Thomas netted twice, with Antony Malcolm, Craig Nicholson and Tommy Murray also striking for East End as they gave themselves a timely New Year boost. Brighouse Old Boys Reserves managed to avoid an upset in the League Trophy as they edged past Alliance Division Two side Boroughbridge Reserves 2-1.

Steven Ashford and Calvin Lee netted the all important goals for Brighouse as they went through to Round Three, where they will face Wetherby Athletic Reserves.

Alliance Division Two leaders Ilkley Town Reserves beat Otley Town Reserves 3-1 through an Adam Fowler brace and a solitary strike from Sipho Ncube.

Sherburn White Rose Reserves won their first game of the season with a 4-1 victory over Baildon Trinity Athletic Reserves.

Aaron Hodgson netted twice for the bottom-of-the-table side, with Gary Chapman and Robert Jackson also scoring for Sherburn WR Reserves.

Guiseley Vixens. PIC: Guiseley Vixens AFC

Women’s Football: Vixens pull off great escape with Town win