Sunday Leagues: Gascoigne survive cup final scare to retain trophy

Action from the Leeds Sunday Alliance Challenge Cup final between Gascoigne and Seacroft Colts Stallions.
Action from the Leeds Sunday Alliance Challenge Cup final between Gascoigne and Seacroft Colts Stallions.
Have your say

Gascoigne came from a goal down to retain the Leeds Sunday Alliance Challenge Cup after beating Seacroft Colts Stallions 3-1.

Stallions opened the scoring with a wonder-goal from Lewis Kirlew which gave his side a 1-0 lead at half-time. But n the second half, Gascoigne rallied and two goals from Ben Wood, plus an unfortunate own goal, ensured that they won the trophy for a second consecutive season. It caps off a terrific season for Gascoigne who finished their domestic season in second place, just five points behind champions Leeds YMCA.

Halfway House Bramley clinched the Leeds Sunday Alliance Premier League Trophy after beating Torpedo Woodhall 2-0 in the final held at the home of Whitkirk Wanderers. A poacher’s header from Wayne Stephenson in the first half and a stunning curled finish from Craig Mullaney late on in the second-half saw Bramley overcome Torpedo in a hard-fought contest.

Halfway also had a successful league campaign, finishing third in the Premier Division, five points behind runners up Gascoigne.

Martin Shaw, meanwhile, bowed out as Ferrybridge Progressive manager with another trophy success as the Castleford Sunday League champions triumphed in the Oakworth Open Cup final. Ferrybridge added the cup to their league success as they beat Premier Division runners-up Fryston AFC 2-1 in a game played at Selby Town’s ground.

In a repeat of last year’s final, which Ferry also edged 2-1 thanks to Jamie Bird’s strike and an own goal, another tight contest saw the result in the balance right up to the final whistle.

Del Pollock struck first to give Progressive the lead on 15 minutes and it stayed 1-0 to half-time.

Fryston hit back to level after the break, but Ferry had an ace up their sleeve when they put Mickey Dunn on as substitute and he made a big impact by coming up with what turned out to be the winning goal, following a great run and finish.

Fryston kept battling to the end, but had to settle for another runners-up finish to end their excellent Sunday season, in which they won 16 league games and lostonly two, both to the champions.

The Ferrybridge team was Tasker, Jolllands, Williams, Waites, Haywood, Middleton, Booth, Seed, Barlow, Pollock, Barrett. Subs: Dunn, Fish.

Ferrybridge Progressive finished off their Castleford Sunday League campaign in fine fashion with a 6-0 away win over Nags HFC in midweek.

Joshua Barratt’s powerful run and finish set them on the way to another victory as the striker continued his good form with a rasping finish from outside the area.

Del Pollock’s delightful lob added a second and Jamie Bird’s three clinical finishes ensured that Ferrybridge collected all three points.

Club captain Jimmy Williams came on for the final five minutes and added the sixth with a neat finish from close range. The win meant Ferrybridge retained their Premier Division title by eight points and remain unbeaten in the league for the last 55 games, their last defeat coming on September 30, 2012.