Sunday District Cups: Profligate defences pay hefty penalty

David Allanson of Halfway House Stanningley heads wide against Armley Rangers.
David Allanson of Halfway House Stanningley heads wide against Armley Rangers.
Have your say

CHAPELTOWN Fforde Grene stormed into the second round of the Leeds and District FA Sunday Senior Cup by winning a 9-4 goal-fest at home to Belle Isle WMC.

Dom Blair proved the Fforde hero with a four-timer supported by a goal apiece from Eder Ruiz, Fernando Moke, Anthony Williamson, Joel Hughes and Kaydon Fishley. A Joe Gott double plus a Joe O’Neil strike and an own goal was not enough to prevent Belle Isle’s exit.

There was drama at JB Celtic who ousted visiting Pudsey Juniors Old Boys 8-7 on penalties after a 3-3 draw after extra-time. Two goals from Ben Cook and one from Dean Drake made up the Celtic tally with a Brad Burrow double and Dave Thornton effort ultimately in vain for Pudsey.

There were seven goals at Beeston St Anthony’s who squeezed past Commercial HQ 4-3. A Ben Greenwood double plus a goal each from Paul McMullen and Graham Stockdale saw the hosts into round two.

Seacroft AFC also netted four times as they obliged 4-2 at Main Line Social. Seacroft’s Glenroy Hylton and Ryan Robinson both registered braces with Brad Francis-White and Callum Woodhouse the men on the mark for Main Line.

Queenswood Crusaders are through after a 2-1 success at Rothwell Town. Goals from Andy Mullan and Martin Loveridge ensured the victory in the face of a home Scott Carter strike.

Daisy join Crusaders in the next round after their 2-1 win at home to Stanningley Albion. Liam Chadwick and Fidel Mholo were both on target for the hosts.

In the first round of the Leeds FA Sunday District Cup,

Engine edged out visitors Corpus Christi in a 5-4 thriller thanks to a Jonny Duckerty brace.

Duckerty’s brace was added to with goals from Ash Gales, Mark Temple-Baker and Ste Keeling.

In a high scoring encounter at KKS Zubry, the home side beat Manston Wanderers 7-3 to progress into the next round.

Andrew Mannion, Steven Pugh and David Pugh struck in vain for Manston.

New Parnaby beat visitors Colton 3-2 thanks to Kyle Swithenbank’s double and Casey James’ goal.

Kris Robson, Brian Edwards and Terry Mosey were all on target for New Unicorn as they narrowly defeated visitors Farsley Twenty Tens 3-2.

Peter Benn was on target twice as Seacroft won 5-2 at home to Horsforth Fairweather. Ste Cooper and Luke Hunter also got on the scoresheet for Seacroft, who were helped by an own goal, while Dave Scott and Steve Skillern replied for Fairweather.

Oulton Athletic progressed to the next round after winning 2-1 at Thorner. Andy Mullane and James Brown’s goals were enough to put Athletic through.

Elsewhere, a Sam Jennings goal could not help Acorn who were beaten 4-1 at home by Chapel Allerton.

In the first round of the Sunday Jubilee Cup, East Leeds AFC mauled Moortown Albion 8-1 to put their names in the hat of the second round draw. Adam Kerrigan’s treble for the away team was complemented by goals from Josh Meah, Jamie Hadland, Ben Maude, Ollie Maude and Rikki Page.

South Leeds Independent Sunday proved too strong for Torpedo Woodhall as they came out 5-0 home victors.

Aaron Connor and Daniel Harrison both notched twice while Jamie Corrigan also scored. Halfway House Bramley were beaten 4-1 at New White Hart. The home side scored through Michael Carroll, Richard Dunbar, Carlton Binks and Sam Wood. Abz Blair’s brace helped Waterintobeer to a 4-1 victory at Pendas Arms.

Ste Kaye and Dan Colbourne were also on target in the comfortable win.

A Lawrence Contreras goal couldn’t stop Royal Park Leeds going out after losing 2-1 at Leodis United.

There was drama at Khalsa United as AFC Travellers won 5-4 on penalties. The match had to be decided by spot kicks after finishing 2-2 after extra time.

Wortley Brick were beaten 8-3 at home by Seacroft Colts. Strikes from Chris Parkin and Carl Lutkevitch could not prevent FC West Leeds losing 5-2 at East Leeds Celtic.

And Aidan Philip was the hero as his hat-trick helped Millshaw Park Rangers to a 5-3 win over Leeds YMCA.

Isaac Denny and Nev Strudwick completed the scoring for the home side.

In the Barkston Ash FA JB Plows Sunday Cup first round, Garforth Villa were big 6-1 winners at Swillington Welfare.

Jamie Cott, Steven Phillips and Adam Wood all scored two goals apiece to send Villa through to the second round.

Barwick also hit six in an away victory, winning 6-0 at Bardsey. Leon Walker and Shaun Mallory both scored braces, with Charlie Stephenson and Josh McClean also on target. Despite conceding four goals, Bramham still qualified as they scored seven goals at Hambleton.

Selby RSSC held their nerve to beat Albion Vaults 5-2 on penalties after the visitors had held them to a 2-2 draw after extra time.

Wetherby Athletic were not so lucky as they were knocked out 4-1 on penalties at Britannia Tadcaster following a 1-1 draw after 120 minutes. Barwick proved too strong for Bardsey as they won 6-0 away from home.

Bedford Arms Wakefield won 3-2 at Boons in the first round of the Seymour Memorial Trophy. Ben Jervis, Scott Reyner and Ray Sweeney bagged the goals which saw the away side squeeze into the second round.

In the Castleford and District FA Sunday Cup, North Featherstone cruised into the second round with a 10-2 hammering of visiting Smawthorne FC.

Smawthorne took the lead in the encounter but captain Ian Jackson soon levelled and aside from a brief Smawthorne response before half-time from there on in it was one-way traffic. Fev’s Kyle Pearson eventually finished with a four-goal haul supported by a Gav Catton brace and strikes from Andy Burton, Scott Ellam and John Bailey.

Ferrybridge Progressive were also handsome 10-1 winners at AFC Royal Oak while FC Byram Munich dished out a 6-2 beating to visiting Pontefract & Castleford United.

Pontefract Collieries turned on the style in extra time to win 5-2 against visiting Chequers FC following a 2-2 draw after 90 minutes while Pontefract Sports And Social obliged 5-2 at George V. AFC Pontefract Sports & Social also went through with a 2-1 win at home to Railway Inn.

Two preliminary round ties were also played with Whitwood Metrostars booking a first round hosting of Castleford Town after a 3-1 success on penalties at Queens Head. The shoot-out drama came after a thrilling 5-5 draw.

AFC Cutsyke also won 2-1 at AFC Basshouse and will now visit Fryston AFC in round one.

Among the action in the first round of the Wakefield FA Seymour Memorial trophy was a 3-2 win for Bedford Arms Wakefield at Boons as Ben Jervis, Scott Reyner and Ray Sweeney all netted one each.

Aimi Beresford bagged a decisive brace for Brighouse in the 3-2 win over Bolton Wanderers.

Women’s Football: Vixens give survival hopes huge shot in the arm