Leeds Sunday League: Harehills and Chapeltown hoping for cup final glory

Match action from Richmond Hill v Harehills WMC (SR100352a). PIC: Steve Riding
Match action from Richmond Hill v Harehills WMC (SR100352a). PIC: Steve Riding
Have your say

The Hope Cup semi-finals saw Chapeltown Fforde Grene progress to the final with a 4-2 win against East Leeds Celtic.

Tinique Fishley, Kaine Blair, Derelle Goodinson and Kyle Jeffery scored for Grene, cancelling out Steve Johnson and Robert Olde’s strikes for East Leeds Celtic.

Richmond Hill and Harehills WMC’s semi-final went the distance, with the sides separated only by a 3-2 penalty shootout win for Harehills WMC.

A marathon clash saw the scores level at 1-1 after 90 minutes played, and both sides scored a goal apiece in extra time to send the tie to penalties after the game finished 2-2.

John Bosworth and Ashley Hubbard scored Richmond Hill’s two goals. Phil Allanson scored a goal in normal time and one in extra time to cause a penalty shootout, which his team ultimately won to reach the final.

The final of the Hope Cup will take place at Yorkshire Amateur on Easter Sunday.

In the Terry Pears Premier, Carnegie pulled out a 2-1 win against Chapel Street Whites to move past Chapeltown Fforde Grene to the top of the table.

Lee Cuthbertson scored Chapel Street Whites’s only goal of the game, with Lewis Burke and Eddie Chia bagging to give Carnegie the three points.

In the Championship, Farsley Twenty Tens maintained their iron grip on top spot with a 5-1 win against Acorn (Bramley), who sit in ninth.

Craig Naylor put away a hat-trick to send Farsley on their way, with additional goals from Andrew Lund and Matthew Chapman sealing a comfortable victory.

A high scoring contest between Halfway FC and Corpus Christi saw Corpus Christi emerge as 6-3 winners, climbing above their opponents into second in the league as a result.

Dale Hague, West Bell and Lee Robinson scored for Halfway, with Jonathan Meridith and Connor Reed on the scoresheet for Corpus Christi. The hero of the day was Phil Jarvis, however, who put away a hat-trick to give Corpus Christi a huge win.

KKS Zubry beat Water-Into-Beer 5-1, and therefore stretched the gap between them in the league to four points, with Zubry now sitting comfortably in sixth.

Luke Player and Michael Sproates scored a goal each for Zubry, with Raph Chisolm adding a hat-trick to give Zubry a solid win away from home.

East Leeds AFC moved into fourth, climbing above East Leeds Celtic in the process, with a 2-1 win against Western Juniors, who are struggling towards the bottom end of the table.

East Leeds AFC had goalscorers Adam Kerrigan and Oli Maude to thank for the three points as they pipped Juniors to the win by a single strike.

In the Barrass Cup Group A, Original Oak FC ensured second place with a huge 7-1 victory against Halfway House (Stanningley) to progress to the next round of the competition. Halfway House finished the group stages having not picked up a single point.

Halfway’s goalscorer was John Prowse. Original Oak’s firepower was simply overwhelming, however, with both Jon Hart and Ste Sharp scoring a hat-trick. Darryll Whitaker also scored to round off a destructive display for Oak.

Original Oak will have to carry that form into the coming weekend’s games if they want to stand a chance, as they face the undefeated Premier Division leaders Carnegie away from home.

Original Oak are struggling towards the bottom end of the Premier Division, and will be hoping to avoid relegation.

West Yorkshire League: Promoted Newsome targeting top flight at first attempt