Leeds Combination League: Sherriffe’s shot could prove vital in the long run

Action from Seacroft WMC v Chapeltown Ffiorde Grene (100389e). PIC: Steve Riding
Action from Seacroft WMC v Chapeltown Ffiorde Grene (100389e). PIC: Steve Riding
Have your say

CHAPELTOWN Fforde Grene strengthened their Jubliee Premier title push by grinding out a 1-0 win at rivals Seacroft WMC Athletic.

The clash at Ironwood View pitted first against second and Fforde’s Dan Sherriffe bagged the only goal of the game.

Last year’s champions Fforde now lead second-placed HT Sports by five points although Sports do have two games in hand.

HT continued their purple patch with a potentially crucial 2-1 victory at Halton Moor on Thursday.

Ben Thornton and Mick Mills both struck for HT as a Tom Leneghan strike proved in vain for the hosts.

HT – who visit Seacroft tomorrow – were then awarded a home walkover from Sunday’s league tie at home to AFC Hanover Arms who have finished the campaign bottom of the pile.

Halton Moor bounced back from Thursday’s setback with a 2-1 success against visiting Leeds City Rovers.

Glen Wood and Mark Witton both netted for Halton Moor with a Zaheer Ahmed strike in vain for the third-bottom visitors.

In the Premier, the promotion hopes of Queenswood Crusaders were dealt a hammer blow as they drew 3-3 at bottom club New Pudsey who ended their season on a high.

Danny Redfearn struck twice for Queenswood whose Danny Sandoval also netted but goals from Ashley Forber, Levi Forber and Patrick Sutton gave the hosts a shock point.

Second-placed Yeadon Veterans took advantage with a 4-2 triumph at seventh-placed JB Celtic. Andy Carlton fired in a hat-trick for Yeadon whose Craig Nicholls was also on the scoresheet.

Efforts from Andy Campbell and Gregory Tanner failed to save the hosts. Yeadon are now eight points clear of third-placed Queenswood but they have three games left whereas Yeadon have just one to play.

Yeadon’s last game comes on the last Sunday of the month at mid-table Pudsey Juniors Old Boys. Queenswood next host AFC Horsforth tomorrow and then JB Celtic on Sunday.

AFC Horsforth enjoyed a 3-2 success in a mid-table battle at Main Line Social.

Ryan Sharrocks and Andy Horsman both scored for the hosts but goals from Liam Dixon, Richard Coulton and Frederick Pessu gave the visitors all three points.

In Division One, Waggon Athletic blew the chance to seal a second-placed finish as they lost 2-1 at basement battlers Swillington Welfare.

Andrew Wathen’s strike was not enough for Waggon who were undone by a brace from Kieran Turnbull. The victory gives Swillington hope of escaping the bottom two though Manston Wanderers, who are ahead of them on goal difference, have a game in hand.

Either way, Old Ball are within striking distance as they are two points above Swillington having finished their league campaign. Third-placed Colton strengthened their promotion push with a 4-0 cruise at mid-table Engine.

But Colton are still one point behind second-placed Waggon with both teams having one game left to play – against each other.

The promotion decider takes place at Waggon this Sunday.

There was another significant result in Division One on Sunday as a determined Oulton Athletic finally bagged their first win of the season in their final game of the campaign.

Fifth-placed visitors Daisy were their victims as they were chopped down 2-1 through goals from Ian Patchett and Thomas Lee. A Jamie Bull strike failed to save the Daisy cause. Daisy have one game remaining, at home to third bottom Manston Wanderers this weekend.

Colton's Chris Hicks tries a shot on goal during Saturday's 4-2 Hancock Cup defeat at Shire Reserves. PIC: Steve Riding

Yorkshire Amateur: Grangefield steal St Bede’s thunder in Marflitt Trophy quarter-finals