Junior Football: City’s trawl for replacement players pays off in Grimsby

Wigton Moor United Under-14s
Wigton Moor United Under-14s
Have your say

LEEDS City Boys Under-14s signed off for Christmas by edging a 6-5 victory at Grimsby despite fielding an understrength side due to injuries and absentees.

With both sides battling a strong breeze, Lewis Branton gave Leeds the lead with a low shot across the Grimsby keeper but the hosts fought back well and scored two quick goals due to some poor Leeds defending.

With still less than 10 minutes played, Leeds equalised when Branton headed a good cross from Kyran Sharlotte goalwards which led to an own goal. Again, back came Grimsby to equalise but the second setback seemed to stun Leeds into action and a defensive mix-up gave Branton a chance which he took comfortably.

Leeds then upped the pressure and were awarded a penalty when the goalkeeper tripped a Leeds forward and Branton successfully converted. Two more Leeds goals followed before half-time from Kian Linley with a firm header and Branton again with his fourth after a good ball from Sam Bolter.

But despite having the worst of the elements, Grimsby refused to lie down with the hosts finally beating Leon Hepple when a free-kick reached an unmarked attacker who headed home.

Grimsby then set up frantic finale by netting again to make it 6-5 but Leeds held firm and the Whites perhaps should have been further in front with Linley unlucky when a long-range shot hit the bar.

Elsewhere, Wigton Moor United Under-14s booked their place in the semi-finals of the Leeds and District Cup for the third time in four years after a 2-0 success against Horsforth St Margaret’s Colts Under-14s.

Horsforth approached the tie on the back of an impressive recent unbeaten run but United opened the scoring on a blustery Soldiers Field through Ben Cawthray after a goal mouth scramble.

Wigton took their 1-0 lead into the interval and then made sure of victory when Posi Aluko made it 2-0 after being put through on goal with a clinical pass from Brooklyn Flynn. Colton JFC await in the semi final.

Drighlington Under-14s celebrated double joy with both the A’s and B’s winning in the Huddersfield League. Drig A strengthened their Division One title claims with a 3-2 success at home to Queensbury Under-14s thanks to goals from Jacob Philips, Ross Mchale and Harry Carney. Drig B obliged 7-4 at Shelf Under-14s thanks to a five star showing from Lewis Taylor who slammed in a nap hand in his first game of the season.

Drig led 5-0 at the break and survived a home comeback by adding further goals through Jason Whittaker and Harrison Petticrew.

Brighouse Juniors B Under-13s ended their year on a high as a 9-4 success at Lindley Lightning Under-13s put themn second in Division 5A and 5B of the Huddersfield League. The hosts bagged the game’s first goal but were ultimately 7-1 down at the interval after a Jamie McCrink four-timer plus a Barney Garside double and Will Bakes strike.

Amazingly, Lightning then rallied to pull the score back to 7-4 and almost netted a fifth but Thomas Adamthwaite pulled off a fine save. And it was from that save that Brighouse countered to win a corner where Bakes netted his second to make it 8-4.

The vistors finally bagged their ninth goal when Benoit Dedman broke out of defence and played a through ball to Garside who knocked the ball past the keeper only to be brought down by him. Garside got up and completed his hat trick.


WHITKIRK WANDERERS Under-13s bowled over the opposition in their final game of 2015 to stay on the heels of leaders Brighouse Juniors Under-13s in Division Two of the West Ridng Girls League.

Whitkirk were 3-2 winners at home to second-bottom Wortley Under-13s with the Wanderers Football section pulling out all the stops to get the game staged.

A party of committee volunteers together with the Under-13s manager spent Friday afternoon converting the Open Age pitch to a 9v9 set up with both teams evenly matched come Sunday morning’s first half.

The quick reactions of Mia Deighton in a goalline scramble put Whitkirk 1-0 up two minutes before half-time before a double from Ella Joynson and a goal from Wortley brought the score to 3-1 in the second half.

An unfortunate own goal from a Wortley corner meant a very tense last few minutes for Whitkirk who held on for for a victory that leaves them in second, five points behind leaders Brighouse who have one game in hand.

The day was finished by the girls joining the two Under-13s boys teams for an afternoon of bowling as a Christmas treat paid for by the Under-13s football section.

Whitkirk manager John Glynn said: “We are very grateful for the support and encouragement from the Whitkirk club committee and members who are always interested in how the new girls team are doing.

“The girls are showing what a great addition they are to the teams at Whitkirk Wanderers.”