Heavy Woollen: Fightback catches top team off-guard

Mattew Windle and Matthew Hutchinson of Batley Celtics combine to thwart Nathan Clark of Punch Bowl
Mattew Windle and Matthew Hutchinson of Batley Celtics combine to thwart Nathan Clark of Punch Bowl
Have your say

Premier Division leaders Birkenshaw came unstuck for the first time this season as Overthorpe Sports Club came from behind to claim a 3-1 victory.

Stuart McCallum put Birkenshaw ahead after only a minute but strikes from Ashley Hill, Elliott Brooke and Kristian Angus climbed Overthorpe to fourth.

Towngate are now only two points behind the leaders after Lee McGowan and John-Paul Flynn netted in a 2-1 win over Millbridge WMC, who replied through Kieran Corley.

And Woodman Batley Carr earned their first point of the season after they drew 1-1 with St John Fisher for whom Rob Hiscox struck.

With previous Championship leaders Oakwell Motel in cup action, Battyeford claimed top spot with a 3-3 draw at St John Fisher Reserves. Lee Davey – with two – and Dominic Simpson were the scorers for Fisher.

James Parkin also claimed a brace as FC Pack Horse won 2-0 at home to bottom side Gomersal whilst Birstall St Patricks enjoyed a 6-1 win against Barr Street.

Jean-Marie Julienne, Darren McDonald, Adam Swinden, Scott Minto, Luke Newsome and Paul Swaine all scored for Birstall with Andrew Wright hitting Barr Street’s consolation.

In Division One, Mount Pleasant missed out on the chance to reclaim top spot after they collapsed 7-0 at Heckmondwike Sports Club. Blake Maude and Joe Armour hit doubles for Heckmondwike with James Reily, Scott Metcalfe and Ross Palframan also netting.

Birkenshaw Reserves climbed third after Steve Smith, Tom Smith, Jonathan Smith, Phil Bell and Ashley Gibson all scored in a 5-1 win over Batley Irish Nash who replied through Chris Shaw.

And Ravenswharfe won 5-3 at home to bottom side Hightown thanks to goals from Sam Hewitt with a brace plus efforts from Steve Smith, Josh Walton and Lee Wood. Hightown replied through a Jordan Midwood double plus one from James Mortimer.

Battyeford Reserves aided their relegation scrap after a 2-1 win over fellow strugglers Bay Horse East Ardsley for whom Steve Day struck.

Clifton Rangers lead Division Two by a point after a 5-3 win at Club Kirkheaton.

And Nathan Clarke fired a hat-trick as second-placed Punch Bowl won 4-1 at Batley Celtics. Josh Wood bagged the other with Danny Wilkinson replying for Celtics.

Woodkirk Valley are third, still with a 100 per cent record, after goals from Andy Arnett, Jonny Downey, Will Clapham and Jack Darrington saw them win 4-2 at Overthorpe Sports Club Reserves. Craig Fryer and Sean Hodgson struck for Overthorpe.

Away from league matters, Oakwell Motel booked their place in the semi-final of the Heavy Woollen Challenge Cup after hammering Taylor 8-3. Jermaine Davies led the way with four goals and Johnny Beverley hit a brace with Nathan Hallas and Robert Ives also scoring. Taylor replied through double-up Suleman Aswat and Yusuf Akudi.

Oakwell will meet AFC Chickenley after they won 6-4 against Mirfield Town. Michael Chadwick and Shaun McDaid both hit doubles for Chickenley, who also had Tim Clarke and Danny Moffatt on target. Gibril Bojang, with a brace, plus Reece Drake and Tom Wilks replied for Mirfield.

In round two, Thornhill Lees cantered to an 8-0 win over Hartshead. Scott Hargreaves and Nathan Kemp both hit hat-tricks for Lees, with James Wilson and Nicki Croisdale completing the rout.

In the Heavy Woollen Challenge Trophy, Saville Arms booked their place in the semis with a 5-1 win over Town Rangers. Bobby Campbell, Robert McCall, Wayne Wilson, Tom Heaton and Danny Stephenson netted for Saville who will meet Woodkirk Valley.

Aimi Beresford bagged a decisive brace for Brighouse in the 3-2 win over Bolton Wanderers.

Women’s Football: Vixens give survival hopes huge shot in the arm