Heavy Woollen: Batley battered as Scholes notch highest score of the day

Action from Six Lane Ends FC and   Bay Horse East Ardsley.
Action from Six Lane Ends FC and Bay Horse East Ardsley.
Have your say

SCHOLES Athletic hit the highest score of the day as they progressed to the next round of the Heavy Woollen Challenge Trophy with a 9-1 demolition of Batley Irish Nash.

Gareth Jones led the way with a hat-trick, Kieran Armitage bagged a brace with Dean Commins, Richard Burke, Robert Smith and Mick O’Hara completing the scoring.

Tom Macfarlane hit Nash’s consolation. Joe Hill struck four goals and Dale Orange hit a brace as Bay Horse East Ardsley won 6-2 at Six Lane Ends whose Jason Elliott and James Kenworthy netted.

Overthorpe Sports Club Reserves miserable season continued as they lost 2-1 against Battyeford Reserves.

Danny Marshall opened the scoring for Overthorpe, but Battyeford hit back through Tom Frizzel and Will Evans.

Liam Curtis scored for Punch Bowl but they went down 5-1 at Clifton Rangers.

Town Rangers progressed to Round Three after Kieran Ryan, with a brace, James Hutchinson, Kieran Kavanagh and an own goal saw off the challenge of Birkenshaw Reserves in a 5-3 win.

Phil Bell, Ryan Hird and Tom Smith scored for Birkenshaw.

Kyle Smith, Ryan Russell and Alistair Drew all found the net as FC Liversedge beat Batley Celtics in a narrow 3-2 win. Scorers for Celtics were Lucas Barraclough and Kieran Frood.

Tim Blackburn scored a fine hat-trick as St Ignatius won 4-1 against Clifton Rangers Reserves.

Robert Smith hit the other with Clifton replying through Callum Miller.

Navigation are also through to the next round after they won 4-1 at Hanging Heaton Cricket Club.

Premier Division leaders Birkenshaw saw off the challenge of Overthorpe Sports Club in round two of the Heavy Woollen Challenge Cup with a hard fought 5-2 away victory.

Joel Farrar, Andrew Wood, Luke Barker, Michael Smith and Lee Phillips netted for Birkenshaw, whilst both Overthorpe goals came from Lewis Ward.

Woodkirk Valley also progressed to the next round after Robert Mayes, Mark McDermott, Simon Poole, Gavin Huxall, Dan O’Connor and Ben Holdsworth all scored in a 6-1 win over Mount Pleasant (Mohammed Patel).

Tim Clarke, Ryan Simmonds, Shaun McDaid and Michael Chadwick all found the net as AFC Chickenley won 4-3 at Barr Street.

Michael Calvert, Ryan Buckley and Andrew Wright netted for Barr Street.

Oakwell Motel won their local derby with Birstall St Patricks 2-0 thanks to strikes from Joe Hallas and Jack Anderson.

Woodman Batley Carr required penalties to overcome Hartshead after a cracking tie finished 3-3 after extra time.

Johnny Walton, Andrew Pickles and Dominic Karimi netted for Woodman, with Jack Allerton, Matthew Turnbull and Danny Laidlaw replying for Hartshead.

Due to cup fixtures only a handful of league games took place, and in the Championship, in form Mirfield Town extended their lead at the top to six points after Kieran Corley’s double saw them win 2-0 at Marsh.

In Division One, the top two sides met and it was new leaders Raverswharfe who emerged 3-1 winners over Deighton WMC.

Sam Hewitt (two) and Lee Poskitt scored for Ravenswharfe, with Michael Fill replying for Deighton, who slip to second.

The Yorkshireman won 5-2 against Dewsbury Westside thanks to Ben Simpson’s hat-trick, plus strikes from Simeon Fletcher and Kalvin Whyte.

Brighouse Town Ladies' 

Annabelle Cass.

Women’s round-up: Brighouse are basking in FA Cup scalp glory