Guiseley pay the price for showing too much respect

Have your say

Guiseley boss Mark Bower admitted his side paid the price for showing opponents Aldershot too much first-half respect in a 3-0 exit to the Hampshire outfit in their last-16 FA Trophy clash.

The Lions, in their first game for two-and-a-half weeks, produced a subdued first-half performance when they were second-best and trailed 2-0, although they were somewhat unfortunate to go behind when Mark Molesley’s shot deflected in off Ben Parker on 22 minutes.

Aiden O’Brien added a second six minutes later and Jordan Roberts fired in a third on the counter-attack on 63 minutes as Guiseley’s fine 15-match run without defeat was ended.

Bower said: “With the performance in the first half, we let them have too much respect and stood off them, we left them too much space to play in and we defended a little bit deep.

“When we had the ball, we also gave it away. And if you give the ball away against quality opposition, who are full-time professional players, you get punished.

“Having not played for two-and-a-half weeks, you could that in the players early on. In the second half, we came out really well and were on top and if we could have nicked a goal, it could have been a different story.

“But we switched off from a free-kick and got picked off and that third goal killed it.”

Early on, Gavin Rothery had a good chance for the Lions, but his shot was scuffed wide.

Soon after, Molesley’s shot deflected in off Parker and Guiseley’s deficit doubled when O’Brien broke clear and coolly slotted the ball past Steve Drench.

The dangerous Wayne Brooksby had Guiseley’s best chance in the second-half, but his shot went inches wide and moments later, Aldershot scored their final goal, Roberts netting following a counter attack.

Skrill North action saw ninth-placed Harrogate Town return to winning ways with a much-needed 2-1 home victory over Stalybridge Celtic.

Simon Weaver’s side, for whom ex-Leeds United youngster Nathan Cartman made his second debut for the club, coming on from the bench, fell behind on 26 minutes when Sean McConville struck after a great run from Paul Ennis.

But 90 seconds later, Town levelled when ex-Celts player Chris Hall headed home following an inch-perfect Steve Mallory cross.

Mallory’s corner set up the winner on 55 minutes when man-of-the-match Adam Nowakowski forced the ball in.

Two goals in the space of eight first-half minutes from Jordan Deacey and Adam Clayton helped mid-table Bradford Park Avenue win 3-2 at lowly Gloucester.

Alex Davidson added a third on 63 minutes and despite Matt Groves and Will Morford reducing the deficit, Avenue claimed the points.

Beeston St Anthony's star stopper, Alex Houghton. PIC: Beeston SA

Park Life with Lee Sobot: Ice-cold Alex stars in and out of goal for Saints