County Cup (Saturday): Sizzling second half sets up Saints for next round

John Mallinson, of Beeston St Anthony's, sets off on a jinking run against AFC Illingworth St Mary's. PIC: Steve Riding
John Mallinson, of Beeston St Anthony's, sets off on a jinking run against AFC Illingworth St Mary's. PIC: Steve Riding
Have your say

BEESTON ST Anthony’s continued their brilliant season with a 5-1 beating of visiting AFC Illingworth St Mary’s in the County Challenge Cup to book a sizzling tie at Horbury Town in the next round.

Beeston sit top of the West Yorkshire Premier but faced an Illingworth side who are undefeated in the Haslem- Shepperd Halifax and District League having won six out of six,

But after a first half that ended 1-1, Beeston turned on the style in the second period to eventually ease through thanks to a brace from Lee Coleman plus a goal each from Ben Haigh, John Mallinson and Lee Turnbull. Beeston will now visit fellow West Yorkshire Premier title chasers Horbury who progressed with a 1-0 verdict at County Amateur League Golcar United.

West Yorkshire League Division One side Headingley AFC followed up their fine victory against Leeds City with a 4-0 success at divisional rivals Leeds Modernians.

A Jon Mckinley double plus goals from Richard Booth and Ashley Austin sealed a home clash with West Yorkshire Premier side Pool AFC in the last 16.

Pool obliged 4-1 at Midgley United thanks to a Neil Ebdon double plus strikes from Harvey Atkinson and Thomas Fleming.

And there was contrasting emotions for two teams from the Yorkshire Amateur League with Farsley Celtic Juniors racing to a 5-0 win at home to an Askern side who this season entered the FA Cup no less for the very first time.

Farsley were without captain Craig Farrand but the Black Dragon Division North side were undone by a rampant Juniors whose Danny Lyons hit a late hat-trick.

Farsley only opened the scoring after 50 minutes through leading second team scorer Steve Wells after which Danny Lyons added a brace followed by a bizarre direct punt from ’keeper Jordan Wright.

Farsley will visit the winners of the tie between Rimington and Knaresborough Town which was one of several games postponed last weekend that will now take place this coming weekend.

Stanningley Old Boys, though, crashed out after an agonising 9-8 loss on penalties at home to West Yorkshire Premier side Brighouse Old Boys after a 1-1 draw. Stanningley took the lead in the first half through Tom Stewart with the equaliser coming in the 35th minute from Lee Williams.

Brighouse will visit either Lower Hopton or Altofts in the last 16. Hartshead also moved through after being awarded a home walkover against Warley Rangers. A home tie with either Carlton Athletic or Lepton Highlanders awaits.


LEEDS CITY Old Boys flew the Yorkshire Amateur League flag with gusto by producing a superb 3-2 success at home to Silsden White Star in the County Challenge Trophy third round.

City are second in the fifth tier of the YAL but eclipsed their Craven Premier League visitors despite going 2-0 down.

Goals from Marc Ware and Jay Reynolds brought the tie level and after some fine saves from City keeper Ben Abraham, Reynolds netted the winning goal from the penalty spot after being scythed down in the area. A late goalline clearance then secured victory and date with either Vision Hire Wyke or Ilkley Town Reserves.

The YAL’s Alwoodley Reserves also moved through with a 5-2 triumph at home to Meltham Athletic who lined up with just 10 men and were 2-0 down before having a full XI.

Doubles from Ajmal Abrar and Geoff Clarkson plus a late Cori Hendrickson strike sealed Alwoodley’s progression.

But Rothwell Reserves exited the competition after a 3-2 loss at a thriving West Yorkshire League Great Preston side whose Tom Davis, Kieron Jarrett and Scott Westerman netted one each against an away George Walker brace which had Town leading 2-0. Morley Town 3rds and Ealandians Reserves progressed after away walkovers respectively amongst AFC Elford and KKS Spartans.

The West Yorkshire’s Swillington Saints lost 2-1 at home to Cask with a Phillip Mitchell strike also failing to save Robin Hood Athletic Reserves from a 2-1 defeat to visiting Thornhill United whose Liam Carrol and Marcus Davey struck.

Goals from Daniel Leahy and Graeme Tait were in vain for Brighouse Old Boys Reserves who lost 5-2 at home to Bromhill but a Mark Saunders double and Luke Norman strike gave Leeds City Reserves a 3-2 verdict at home to Salts Reserves whose Ryan Whitfield and Ryan Boguslawski struck.