County Cup: Saints steamroller their way into third round

West Riding Challenge Trophy action between Rothwell Town and Morley Town III.
West Riding Challenge Trophy action between Rothwell Town and Morley Town III.
Have your say

SATURDAY’S County Challenge Cup programme was decimated by the weather but there was no stopping Beeston St Anthony’s who roared into the third round with a 3-1 success at West Yorkshire League rivals Wyke Wanderers.

Wyke drew first blood to take a 1-0 lead but Ben Haigh levelled matters by the break with second half strikes from Matty Fannon and Sean Jeavons putting the Saints in the last 32.

Only 16 games survived with the remainder now rolling over to this weekend.

But West Yorkshire League Division One side Hartshead moved through with an 8-2 battering of divisional rivals Old Centralians. Jon Jo Keogh hit a tremendous four-timer for the hosts for whom Jamie Wasley added a brace with Owan Asquith and Joel Farrar getting one each.

But Whitkirk Wanderers were sent spinning out after a 7-2 hiding at Heywood Irish Centre.

Yorkshire Amateur League leaders Farnley Sports also crashed out after a 3-0 loss at managerless league rivals Stanningley Old Boys. John Darke, Tom Stewart and James Allen bagged one each for Stanningley who led 1-0 at the break.

YAL title chasers Farsley Celtic Juniors moved through with a 3-0 triumph at home to the West Yorkshire League’s Ripon City. Ripon began well but were undone when Louis Surtees headed home an Alex Reid cross.

Paul Dockerty doubled the lead with a shot from some 10 yards out with Chad Morris adding his side’s third.

YAL outfit Ealandians battered visiting Shelf United 6-0. Mark Heppenstall hit a treble with Damian Gomersall, James Greenwood and Martin Coldwell getting one each.

But Grangefield Old Boys crashed out after a 4-1 loss at home to County Amateur League side Lower Hopton who took the lead after just two minutes.

The visitors were later reduced to ten men but still moved through with doubles from Liam Riley and Nathan James in the face of a sole home response from Andy Kenyon.

Fellow CAL side Littletown progressed with a 3-1 triumph at home to Wilsden Athletic thanks to a Lee McKeown double and Joe Jagger strike.

And Ventus Yeadon Celtic moved through with a 4-2 win on penalties at Hebden Royd Red Star after a 3-3 draw.

Normal time efforts from Kyle Shah, Terry Hargreaves and Paul Andrews set Celtic up for victory. But a Lewis Ward effort failed to save Overthorpe Sports Club from a 4-1 exit at home to Illingworth St Mary.

Campion set the round’s biggest score by destroying visiting Cononely Sports 17-0.


Sixth-tier Morley Town III made history this weekend in beating Division Two side Rothwell Town to become what is widely believed to be the first Division Six side to progress to Round Three of the County Trophy, writes Oliver Roby.

Despite the gulf in divisions, Gary Reed’s men surprised everyone with a steely 1-0 win on the road which came courtesy of Jason Helm’s goal – already his 19th of the season, a haul which has come during a remarkable ten-game scoring run.

Elsewhere, Drighlington demolished Bardsey 11-0 on the back of a fine hat-trick from Shane Sowden, while Huddersfield Amateur overcame Amarath Reserves by the same scoreline, as Oxenhope Recreation Reserves underlined their title credentials by defeating Horsforth St Margaret’s 8-1.

Meanwhile, Jordan Jaber scored twice as Huddersfield YMCA Reserves outplayed Garforth Rangers to win 6-0 and Woodkirk Valley were similarly impressive on Saturday, winning 6-2 at Brighouse Athletic.

As two of West Yorkshire’s big guns faced off, it was Leeds City Reserves who came out on top 3-2 at home to Farsley Celtic Reserves – three goals inside six second-half minutes paving the way for the win. And St Bedes moved into Round three as they won out 5-4 on penalties after visitors AFC Junction had forced a 2-2 draw, while Leeds City Academy were awarded a home walkover against Ripon City Reserves.