Sheffield Wednesday 1 Leeds United 2: Morison nets derby winner

editorial image
Have your say

Leeds United ran out 2-1 winners against Sheffield Wednesday in a hotly contested Yorkshire derby at Hillsborough.

The visitors had to come from behind to win after Chris Maguire’s controversial first half penalty. However, second half goals from Charlie Taylor and Steve Morison ensured Leeds claimed their first win in six matches.

The visitors started the game well, with Morison capitalising on a loose ball on the edge of the box, only to drag his shot just short of the near post.

The match had all the hallmarks of a typical Yorkshire derby, with an early yellow card for Wednesday’s Jeremy Helan (16) leaving Alex Mowatt to fire his free kick over from the edge of the area.

The breakthrough for the home side came in the 36th minute, after a clattering foul by Sam Byram on Lloyd Isgrove left referee Robert Madley with no choice but to award the penalty and Byram a yellow card. Maguire dispatched the spot-kick calmly to the bottom left of Stuart Taylor’s goal to give the home side a 1-0 lead before half time.

The visitors nearly struck straight back thanks to Morison, however a strong tackle from centre-back Tom Lees prevented the forward from being through on goal on the brink of half time.

The Owls went close to extending their lead straight after the break, with Maguire’s 30-yard free kick forcing a save from Taylor.

With the rain starting to fall at Hillsborough it was Leeds who found the equaliser. A poor free kick by Luke Murphy on the edge of the box found itself trickling through the Wednesday wall, with Taylor pouncing on the loose ball to fire home from six yards out.

The home side responded straight away, with Caolan Lavery’s half-volley from a Marnick Vermijl throw-in heading just shy of the crossbar.

Wednesday head coach Stuart Gray brought on both Stevie May and Will Keane just after the hour-mark, with Isgrove and Jacques Maghoma making way.

Leeds took the lead against the run of play soon after, with Morison (72) timing his run to perfection to latch onto Murphy’s through ball and break clear of the Wednesday back-four. Westwood did well to foil the initial shot; however Morison was on hand to fire home the rebound from close-range.

Leeds nearly finished the game off just minutes later, with Rodolph Austin’s 35-yard rocket shot going inches over Westwood’s goal.

Gray made his third and final substitution in the 86th minute, with Sergiu Bus coming to replace Helan as his team pushed for an equaliser in their last game of the season at Hillsborough.

The result leaves Sheffield Wednesday with just one win from their last five matches.