Match report: Shelbourne 1 Leeds United 2 - Winning start for Whites to life under new manager Garry Monk

Souleymane Doukara attempts an bicycle kick. PIC: Jonathan Gawthorpe
Souleymane Doukara attempts an bicycle kick. PIC: Jonathan Gawthorpe
Have your say

LEEDS UNITED made a winning start to pre-season and earned Garry Monk his first victory as head coach with a 2-1 success against Shelbourne.

Two goals inside 14 minutes gave Leeds control of their first friendly of the summer and the Elland Road club went on to see out a deserved result against their Irish second division opponents.

Leeds United head coach Garry Monk arrives at Tolka Park

Leeds United head coach Garry Monk arrives at Tolka Park

Souleymane Doukara struck first on nine minutes and new signing Hadi Sacko added a second soon after to satisfy the majority of a crowd in excess of 2,000 at Tolka Park in Dublin. Adam Evans replied for Shelbourne early in the second half.

Monk, who took charge as head coach on June 2, split his squad into two separate line-ups, giving one team the first hour of the match and the second the last 30 minutes.

Goalkeeper Rob Green was present at Tolka Park but did not feature in either side and Gaetano Berardi and Liam Cooper sat on the sidelines with minor injuries.

Shelbourne are midway through their domestic campaign and they contested a friendly against Swindon Town at the same ground last night, losing 1-0.

The Dublin side struggled to cope with Leeds' early pressure and United took the lead with their first opportunity.

Doukara picked up the pieces after Kemar Roofe charged down a clearance inside Shelbourne’s box and Doukara's finish from close range sneaked inside the near post.

Four minutes later United struck again when Alex Mowatt's weighted pass gave Hadi Sacko time to shoot inside goalkeeper Jack Brady's near post.

Ross Turnbull prevented Shelbourne from replying by rushing out to block James English's shot after a mistake outside his area and a goalline clearance prevented another English effort from finding United's net.

Shelbourne found the net on 51 minutes when Evans bundled in Lorcan Shannon’s cross but a raft of changes by Monk with half-an-hour to play saw Leeds over the line with few scares. Jordan Botaka twice came close to adding a third United goal, denied on both occasions by saves from substitute keeper Greg Murray.

Shelbourne: Brady (Murray 65), Brown, O’Connor, O’Reilly, Kavanagh (Carragher 90), Boyne (Harper 90), Grimes (Evans 38), Shannon (Coyle 90), English (Duggan 76), Walshe.

Leeds United (for 60 mins): Turnbull, Coyle, Bartley, Diagouraga, Denton, Phillips, Murphy, Mowatt, Sacko, Roofe, Doukara.

Leeds United (last 30 mins): Peacock-Farrell, Purver, McKay, Bamba, Taylor, Vieira, Grimes, Botaka, Stokes, Antonsson, Wood.