Match report: Leeds United 2 Barnsley 1

Have your say

Goals in either half from Kyle Bartley and Pablo Hernandez saw Leeds United through a tight Yorkshire derby as Garry Monk’s side reached the international break inside the Championship’s top half.

Bartley separated two evenly-matched sides before half-time when he met Hernandez’s corner with a clinical finish from close-range.

Leeds had rarely threatened before the goal but Barnsley also found United’s defence difficult to play through as a backline including Pontus Jansson contained their attacking threats impressively.

Hernandez put Leeds further in front with a lovely finish on 56 minutes and Monk’s players held on despite Charlie Taylor turning the ball into his own net with 20 minutes to go.

Monk was able to name an unchanged side for the third game running - a sign of Leeds’ growing consistency - after Jansson recovered from a hamstring strain suffered at Bristol City on Tuesday night.

Barnsley dominated much of the first half without creating chances as wayward passes prevented Leeds from gaining momentum but United snatched the lead with a rare opportunity on 37 minutes.

Charlie Taylor forced a corner on the left-hand side and Hernandez’s swinging delivery was driven past goalkeeper Adam Davies from close range by Bartley.

Leeds’ only sniff of a goal before then came earlier when Davies miscued a clearance to Hadi Sacko, leaving his net wide open, but Angus MacDonald averted the danger by sliding in and dispossessing United’s French winger.

A deflected effort from Adam Armstrong, bouncing wide of a post, was Barnsley’s best effort despite periods of dominance and Chris Wood’s glancing header in injury-time slipped beyond Davies’ far post.

Hernandez could have doubled United’s lead at the very start of the second half, firing off target from inside the box, but he made no mistake on 56 minutes, springing the offside trap and drawing Davies before curling the ball beyond him.

Wood came close to adding further goals, volleying over from 12 yards and shooting high and wide from the edge of Barnsley’s area, but the visitors tested United’s nerve on 70 minutes when Cole Kpekawa sprinted down the left and crossed low. Under pressure from Sam Winnall, Taylor could not avoid knocking the ball over the line.

A low save from Davies then kept out substitute Marcus Antonsson as Leeds tried to re-establish a two-goal advantage but Leeds rode their luck late on as Green kept out a Conor Hourihane volley and Jansson appeared in the right place to hack Josh Scowen’s shot off the line.