Liverpool 2 Leeds United 0 - Brave Whites must take cup spirit into Championship - Monk

Kemar Roofe takes on Emre Can at Anfield
Kemar Roofe takes on Emre Can at Anfield
Have your say

LEEDS United's brave EFL Cup run was finally ended in a 2-0 loss at Liverpool who had to withstand a barrage of pressure before bagging late goals through Divock Origi and Ben Woodburn.

Leeds more than matched their Premier Division title-chasing hosts and hit the post through Kemar Roofe but were finally undone in the 77th minute when Origi clipped home a fine cross from Trent Alexander-Arnold.

The goal was harsh on Leeds and the Red men then doubled their lead just five minutes later when substitute Woodburn smashed home a fierce drive in front of the left hand post.

And Garry Monk was more than satisfied with hist Championship side's performance after they dominated the game for the first hour and created the better chances, hitting the post through Kemar Roofe.

"The team can be proud of what they did tonight," he said.

"With a little bit more composure, we would have scored two or three goals tonight.

Ben Woodburn celebrates scoring his first goal for Liverpool in the 81st minute (Photo: PA)

Ben Woodburn celebrates scoring his first goal for Liverpool in the 81st minute (Photo: PA)

"Unfortunately their quality came through at the end and they scored the goals.

"We deserved more, if we carry on like that we can be successful.

"The ambition now is to have these types of games week in, week out."

Leeds began brightly and squandered a fine chance to take the lead in the fourth minute when a raking pass from Stuart Dallas released Hadi Sacko whose low shot was saved by Simon Mignolet’s legs.

Garry Monk's side came close to scoring through Kemar Roofe

Garry Monk's side came close to scoring through Kemar Roofe

Kemar Roofe then tested Mignolet with a decent low drive from 25 yards some six minutes later but Liverpool then immediately created their first chance with Marco Silvestri producing a decent diving save to keep a volleyed effort from Georginio Wijnaldum out of the top right corner.

A 16th-minute effort from Ragnar Klavan then nearly hit the corner flag and Leeds continued to impress ,with a 25th-minute corner causing a scramble and finding Ronaldo Vieira whose low shot was blocked and clered.

But Leeds were then dealt a blow in the 27th minute when Eunan O’Kane picked up an injury and had to be substituted for Kalvin Phillips.

Phillips was immediately let off the hook six minutes later when his back pass to Kyle Bartley was intercepted by Emre Can whose poked attempt squirmed just wide of Silvestri’s post.

Sub Kalvin Phillips battles with former Leeds man James Milner (Photo: PA)

Sub Kalvin Phillips battles with former Leeds man James Milner (Photo: PA)

But Leeds continued to pose a threat and Kemar Roofe was wrongly flagged offside as Souleymane Doukara released the forward down the left wing.

A shot from Phillips then took a deflection to wrong-foot Mignolet but to the ‘keeper’s relief the ball trickled wide.

Divock Origi then showed blistering pace to burst away down the right flank but Leeds saw off the danger and headed into the break all square.

But Liam Cooper had seemingly injured himself during that first half display and the captain was substituted at the half-time interval for Luke Ayling who faced a new role for Leeds in partnering Bartley at centre back.

But Leeds adapted to the change swimmingly and were only denied the opening goal by the post eight minutes after the restart.

Leeds bombed forward - pressing Liverpool alll over their back line - and when the ball broke to Roofe on the edge of the area the forward produced a fine high curling effort that beat Mignolet all ends up but dropped on to the post.

Liverpool continued to have plenty of possession but without creating a major chance and Silvestri always looked like dealing with Can's shot from the edge of the box.

The Reds looked there for the taking and Whites head coach Garry Monk then went for the jugular by using his final substitute and bringing on Chris Wood for Dallas just after the hour.

After more fine work from Roofe earned Leeds a corner, Bartley then went agonisingly close when heading just wide.

And still the Whites continued to pour forward with Roofe forcing a smart low save from Mignolet who also just about gathered the loose ball after parrying the forward's initial effort clear.

Somehow the score remained goalless and in the 72nd minute it was then Liverpool's turn to hit the post when Wijnaldum broke free in the right hand side of the area and unleashed a stinging effort across goal that whacked the woodwork and was eventually cleared.

A brilliant cup tie was finely poised with either side looking capable of bagging a winner.

And with 14 minutes left it was Liverpool who made the breakthrough when a delicious right wing delivery from the impressive Trent Alexander-Arnold picked out Origi who stole a march on Ayling before poking the ball past Silvestri.

The goal was undeniably harsh on Leeds who had caused their hosts all sorts of problems but just five minutes later the Reds doubled their lead.

From the right hand side, Origi fed Wijnaldum whose flick found Woodburn who lashed home from close range.

Leeds then had the ball in the net a few minutes later but Wood's close range effort was flagged offside and Sacko then blazed a good chance over.

A header from Wood was then placed straight at Mignolet before Phillips blazed a free kick over the bar in the 89th minute.

By now the result was a foregone conclusion but as plenty of Liverpool fans headed for the exits to beat the rush, 5,200 Whites fans continued make a racket as Ayling went close to pulling a goal back with a header.

United's fans were proud of their teams efforts - rightly so after a fine display against one of the best sides in England in a fixture in which they made a deep impression throughout.

Leeds United: Silvestri, Berardi, Cooper, Bartley, Taylor, Vieira, O’Kane (Phillips 27), Sacko, Roofe, Dallas, Doukara. Subs not used: Green, Ayling, Grimes, Mowatt, Wood, Antonsson.

Liverpool: Mignolet, Moreno, Klavan, Lucas, Alexander-Arnold, Stewart (Woodburn 66), Ejaria (Milner 81), Wijnaldum, Can, Mane, Origi (Grujic 90). Subs not used: Karius, Lovren, Clyne, Henderson.

Referee: Andre Marriner.