Leicester City 3 Leeds United 1: Foxes fightback dumps Whites out of Carabao Cup

ALL SQUARE: Kelachi Iheanacho strikes Leicester City's equaliser. Picture by Bruce Rollinson.
ALL SQUARE: Kelachi Iheanacho strikes Leicester City's equaliser. Picture by Bruce Rollinson.
Have your say

LEEDS UNITED exited the Carabao Cup following a 3-1 loss at Premier Division hosts Leicester City despite taking a first-half lead through Pablo Hernandez.

The Spaniard curled home a beauty from the edge of the box to give United a 26th-minute lead but ‘keeper Felix Wiedwald’s weak clearance four minutes later fell straight to Kelechi Iheanacho who took advantage by netting from 18 yards.

After continually going close after the interval, Leicester finally bagged their second in the 71st minute when Islam Slimani netted from close range and substitute Riyad Mahrez then fired home a third with two minutes left.

United went close to taking the lead in the 13th minute when Jay-Roy Grot forced Ben Hamer into making a crucial save from a tight angle following a lovely one-two with Kemar Roofe.

But Hamer had no answers to a fine curling effort from Hernandez 26 minutes in.

Roofe fed the ball to the Spaniard on the edge of the box and Hernandez cleverly turned before producing a delicious high effort that nestled into the net in off the bar.

But within four minutes Leicester were level after a mistake by Wiedwald.

The German custodian rushed off his line in an attempt to deal with Marc Allbrighton’s long ball for Islam Slimani but his weak clearance fell straight to Iheanacho who eventually found the bottom corner from 18 yards.

Leicester suddenly had their tails up and a dangerous low effort from Demarai Gray fizzed just wide of Wiedwald’s right-hand post before a goalbound effort from Albrighton was blocked.

Grot then moved in on goal at the other end before firing wide but Leicester’s excellent Gray was then only denied by the crossbar after unleashing a fierce effort from 25 yards two minutes before the break.

The injured Cameron Borthwick-Jackson was substituted during the half-time break and the second half began with an immediate chance for Gray who blazed over before testing Wiedwald with a fierce drive soon after.

Leicester then squandered a fine chance ten minutes later when Pontus Jansson’s back pass left Wiedwald at sixes and sevens but from Slimani’s pass, Andy King fired wide of an empty net.

Slimani then fluffed an even better chance shortly after the hour when heading an Albrighton cross over from three yards out.

But Slimani then made no mistake when presented with an even easier chance in the 71st minute as Iheanacho raced away down the left flank and delivered a perfect low cross that allowed Slimani to convert from close range.

Leeds were heading out but the Whites squandered a good chance with eight minutes left when Roofe failed to convert Luke Ayling’s inviting cross.

And Leicester then bagged their third goal of the night just six minutes later when United backed off an onrushing Mahrez who pulled the trigger and found the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

Leeds United: Wiedwald, Anita, Jansson, Shaughnessy, Borthwick-Jackson (Ayling 45), Phillips (Vieira 72), Klich, Roofe, Hernandez, Cibicki (Sacko 65), Grot. Subs not used: Lonergan, Pennington, Alioski, Lasogga.

Leicester City: Hamer, Amartey, Maguire, Dragović, Chilwell, Iborra, King, Albrighton (Mahrez 65), Gray, Iheanacho (Vardy 76), Slimani. Subs not used: Jakupović, Fuchs, Ndidi, Musa, Ulloa.

Referee: Lee Probert.

Attendance: 31,516