LEEDS UNITED have issued their vehement backing to Samuel Saiz in response to Port Vale boss Michael Brown’s claims that the Spaniard spat at Joe Davis during Wednesday night’s first round Carabao Cup clash at Elland Road.
The FA will be “following up” the incident but United are confident that the Spaniard will be vindicated by referee Peter Bankes’ report.
Whites debutante Saiz scored a sensational hat-trick to guide Leeds to a 4-1 victory but Vale boss Brown claimed the Spaniard had spat in the face of Davis during the first half.
Former United midfielder Brown has revealed he asked United’s staff for Saiz to be substituted but that his request was declined.
Saiz - who had already opened the scoring for Leeds - went on to notch two more goals in the second half to become the first Whites player to score a hat-trick on his debut since Carl Shutt in 1989.
But Brown said he expected a report on the Saiz incident to go to the FA and the FA have confirmed that they will look into the matter further.
Brown has admitted that video footage of the alleged incident was unclear.
An FA spokesman said: “We are aware of the reports of an allegation and will be following up.”
But Leeds released a statement on Thursday morning giving Saiz their full backing with the club confident that referee Bankes’ report will show no wrong-doing.
“We are disappointed by the allegations made following our game against Port Vale last night,” said the statement.
“We are also disappointed by the treatment of our players throughout the match.
“Our player denies the allegation and we are confident that the referee’s report with vindicate him.”
Speaking in the aftermath of Wednesday night’s 4-1 loss, Brown said of Saiz: “I think the boys lost focus a little bit. The guy who scored three goals spits in Joe Davis’ face and it’s very hard to take.
“We asked their staff to take him off, they ignored that and he scored three goals. That’s why it was getting a bit heated down in the technical area.”