Steve Evans promised to be back at work on Wednesday amid speculation linking MK Dons manager Karl Robinson with his job at Leeds United.
Evans will return from a short holiday abroad tomorrow and said he planned to return to Thorp Arch on Wednesday morning, despite revealing that he is no closer to knowing if Leeds intend to replace him as head coach.
The 53-year-old has not been contacted about his future since owner Massimo Cellino held a board meeting on Wednesday to discuss United’s plans for next season.
Evans’ contract expires in little over a month’s time and he said he was “hurting” at the delay in confirming his fate, describing himself as “ready to attack next season.”
Cellino, however, has been pondering his next move for several weeks and Robinson is the latest manager to emerge as a contender for Evans’ job at Elland Road.
Robinson, who led MK Dons to promotion from League One in 2015 but failed to keep the club clear of relegation this season, was identified by Leeds as a possible candidate to replace Evans this summer.
United made their interest in him known last week and Cellino and Robinson are believed to have met in London for talks but sources at Elland Road told the YEP that they believed the appointment was “very unlikely” to happen. Robinson is reported to have turned the chance down.
A spokesman for MK Dons said: "It's not the first time there has been rumour and speculation involving the future of Karl Robinson and we know it won't be the last.
"What we do know and can confirm is that Karl is single-mindedly working hard to identify and recruit players what will strengthen MK Dons as the club looks to bid for success in the 2016-17 season."
Former Leeds midfielder John Sheridan – currently in charge of Oldham Athletic – appeared to be in the frame for the head coach’s role earlier this month but Oldham have not received an approach from United and that possibility appears to have diminished.
Bristol Rovers’ Darrell Clarke, who has won back-to-back promotions from the National League and League Two, is another name being touted for the job but Cellino is out of the country and abroad in Italy.
In a statement sent to the YEP, Evans said he “respected the right” of Cellino to take his time over an announcement.
“I’m still waiting for the decision for next season from Mr Cellino and the board,” Evans said. “I fully understand they are hectic with a number of things but I would expect to hear very soon.
“I’ll be back to work on Wednesday. There’s still lots to be done because I’m employed by a great club and I must continue to work.
“To deliver promotion you must plan. The Leeds United supporters deserve a promotion season and I’m ready, better than ever physically and mentally, to deliver that.
“We need to help the squad by adding five or six quality players who will know the challenge when they arrive at Elland Road. I have a pre-season schedule ready to go and I have a list of players. Most I have discussed previously with Mr Cellino and he liked my vision.
“I’m hurting at knowing my future but I’ve always respected the right of club owners to make the big decisions in a time and manner that suits them. I’ve been patient but inside me is a burning desire to attack the new season."