Casper Sloth has pleaded for a chance to re-establish himself at Leeds United after admitting he is “completely out” of the picture under Neil Redfearn.
The forgotten Dane said he was confused by his recent lack of opportunities at Elland Road but insisted he and United’s head coach had not fallen out.
Sloth has drifted away from Leeds’ starting line-up since an extended run of appearances under former boss Darko Milanic and he failed to make the bench for any of the club’s last three games.
Redfearn used him regularly during his spell as caretaker earlier in the season but has rarely turned to the 23-year-old since his appointment as full-time head coach, despite Sloth claiming to be free of injury.
Alex Mowatt, Lewis Cook and Adryan have all come to prominence in United’s midfield during Redfearn’s short tenure, with Adryan taking on the number 10 role which Sloth occupied earlier in the term.
“I’m fit to fight and I wonder a little about why from one day to the next I’m completely out,” Sloth said. “Unfortunately I can’t respond.
“I’ve not been injured. Actually, I’ve not missed a single (training) session.
“I hope to get into the team again as soon as possible.
“When (Redfearn) was here the first time I played in all the matches.
“Since he came back a month ago I haven’t played. It’s really weird.”
Leeds invested £600,000 in Sloth when they signed him from Danish club Aarhus in August, one of 15 incoming transfers completed by United and Massimo Cellino.
Cellino, meanwhile, is readying himself for his latest fight with the Football League after formally notifying the governing body that he intends to appeal against his dramatic disqualification as owner of Leeds.
The 58-year-old is understood to have made the League aware of his intentions on Thursday, three days after the League ordered him to step down from United’s board.
The League claims a tax conviction imposed on Cellino by an Italian court in March is in breach of its Owners and Directors Test. Cellino has until December 15 to finalise and submit his appeal.
His disqualification was announced on Monday and the League is insistent that he must resign as a Leeds director within 28 days of that ruling, regardless of whether his appeal is still pending. That deadline is likely to lead to arguments between the two sides, with Leeds privately questioning the likelihood of an appeal being heard and ruled upon before the end of this month.
In a reasoned explanation published on Monday, the League said: “If Mr Cellino chooses to appeal, the League will work with him to try to get the appeal completed and a decision handed down by the (Professional Conduct Committee) within the 28-day deadline.”