Test your knowledge of all things Leeds United with our special quiz compiled by Phil Hay.
ANSWERS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE
1. Four players have held the position of club captain at Leeds United in 2014. Who are they?
2. Ross McCormack scored 11 goals for the club in 2014. Which Leeds striker is next behind him with a tally of eight?
3. McCormack’s 11 goals included one hat-trick. Who against?
4. Which United player received the most red cards in the past 12 months, and how many was he shown?
5. Which player collected the most yellow cards?
6. Who was sent off just 60 seconds after coming on as a substitute in Leeds’ 6-0 hammering at Sheffield Wednesday in January?
7. Which forward missed a Yorkshire derby against Doncaster Rovers in order to attend Nelson Mandela’s funeral?
8. Who produced more assists in 2014 – Alex Mowatt or Stephen Warnock?
9. Name the scorer of United’s first league goal this season.
10. Leeds had two players dismissed in a 4-1 defeat at Watford in August. Who were they?
11. Who is the only Leeds player to have started every Championship match this season?
12. Who is currently the oldest member of United’s squad?
13. Where did Leeds sign him from?
14. Who is the leading all-time appearance maker in United’s existing squad, and how many appearances has he made?
15. Lewis Cook made his first-team debut for Leeds in August. At which international tournament did he claim a winners’ medal at earlier in the summer?
16. Leeds employed four full-time managers and coaches in 2014. Name the two men who acted as caretaker boss in that period.
17. David Hockaday was named as United’s head coach in June. Which two clubs were beaten by Leeds during his six-game reign?
18. Where is Hockaday now employed as a club advisor?
19. United recruited Darko Milanic from Sturm Graz but where did Milanic start his managerial career?
20. How many days did Milanic survive in the job at Elland Road?
21. Who worked as his assistant at Elland Road?
22. Neil Redfearn was United academy manager before becoming head coach. Which team did he work for prior to joining Leeds?
23. Steve Thompson was named as Redfearn’s assistant last week. They started their playing careers at the same club. Name the club.
24. How many competitive fixtures did Brian McDermott oversee as Leeds’ manager?
25. Who was his last victory as manager against?
26. McDermott returned to scouting after leaving Elland Road. Which club does he currently scout for?
27. What was the name of the fitness conditioning coach who worked for McDermott at Leeds?
28. Name the former United players who left their jobs as Under-18s and Under-16s coach in the summer.
29. Following Redfearn’s promotion to the head coach’s job, who is the current development squad coach at Thorp Arch?
30. The current development squad coach is also an ex-Leeds player. He made four first-team appearances for the club in the 1990s. Who was his debut against, and when?
31. Leeds sold Ross McCormack to Fulham for £10.75m in July. Who was the last United player to move on for more money?
32. Who was Brian McDermott’s last signing as manager?
33. Marco Silvestri was the first arrival of the Massimo Cellino era. Who was the second?
34. Leeds signed Jimmy Kebe and Cameron Stewart in the space of 24 hours in January. But which striker did they miss out on that same week?
35. Name the Italian midfielder who thought he’d secured a move to Leeds on transfer deadline day in January, only to see his transfer from Cagliari blocked by the Football League.
36. At stages of the summer Leeds saw bids for a Swiss centre-back, a Danish centre-back and a Roma midfielder fall through. Who were they?
37. United were linked constantly with French striker Andy Delort. Which English side did he join in the end?
38. Leeds made Giuseppe Bellusci’s loan move from Catania permanent in August. How much was the deal reported to have cost?
39. Matt Smith joined Fulham for a six-figure fee in September. Who did he score his last Leeds goal against?
40. In total how, many players did Leeds sign in the summer transfer window?
41. Who was the last player to complete his move before the deadline?
42. Where did Leeds sign him from?
43. Michael Brown was one of 13 senior players released by Leeds at the end of last season. Where is he now?
44. David Hockaday tried and failed to convince Massimo Cellino to sign an ex-Newcastle striker. Who was that target?
45. Which English left-back completed a trial with Leeds before the start of the season but failed to win a contract?
OWNERSHIP AND GOVERNANCE
46. Massimo Cellino bought Leeds on Monday, April 7. How much did he agree pay for the club (excluding debts)?
47. Former Leeds director David Haigh failed with a takeover bid of his own prior to Cellino’s buy-out. What was his consortium called?
48. Cellino followed up his purchase of Leeds by selling Serie A club Cagliari. Which Italian family bought Cagliari from him?
49. What percentage of shares in Leeds do Cellino and Eleonora Sport Ltd own?
50. United have six board members. Who are they?
51. The Football League initially blocked Cellino’s takeover. Name the QC who upheld the Italian’s appeal against that decision.
52. The outcome of Cellino’s successful appeal was announced on a Saturday afternoon in April. Who did Leeds play that day and what was the result?
53. Leeds posted a heavy financial loss at the end of the 2013-14 financial year. How much did the club lose?
54. David Haigh was due to become chief executive under Cellino but resigned soon after his takeover. Who was the last person to officially hold the CEO’s position at Elland Road?
55. Who was recently named as the club’s chief operating officer?
56. Which two other English clubs have Italian owners?
57. Leeds were one of three Championship sides to be hit with a transfer embargo next month. Who were the other two?
58. Who is United’s sporting director?
59. Which ex-Sheffield Wednesday player enjoyed a short-lived spell as an advisor to Cellino earlier this year?
60. Which other associate of Cellino’s was lined up to replace McDermott as head coach on Mad Friday in January before beating a hasty retreat?
61. Who knocked Leeds out of last season’s FA Cup?
62. United’s 6-0 loss at Hillsborough in January was their heaviest defeat since when?
63. The club’s biggest ever win in competitive or friendly circumstances was registered against FC Gherdeina in July. What was the final score?
64. How many league matches have Leeds won away from home in 2014? Who against?
65. Where did Leeds finish in the Championship table last season and how many points did they accrue?
66. Both of United’s biggest home wins in 2014 came against the same club. Who was the club?
67. Leeds exited the League Cup at the hands of Bradford City in August. Who claimed the winning goal in that tie at Valley Parade?
68. Which Romanian side failed to turn up for a pre-season friendly arranged by United in Italy?
69. List the six teams who scored four or more goals against Leeds in 2014.
70. Leeds made themselves safe from relegation last season with a 2-0 win against Blackpool at Elland Road. Who claimed both goals?
71. How many penalties have Leeds been awarded in 2014 and how many have they scored?
72. Ross McCormack was the last Leeds player to both convert and miss a penalty. Which team did he score against and which goal keeper saved the other penalty?
73. McCormack took United’s goal-of-the-season award at their annual ceremony in May. Who was it scored against?
74. Aside from McCormack and Smith, only one other Leeds player scored during their seven matches in March. Who was it?
75. Who claimed United’s first competitive goal this season?
76. In his 16 appearances for Leeds, how many goals did Jack Butland concede?
77. Who scored a wind-assisted free-kick amid 80mph winds at Yeovil in February?
78. Leeds recorded three clean sheets between Christmas and the end of last season. Against who?
79. Noel Hunt struck on his debut after joining Ipswich on loan last month. How many goals has he scored for Leeds?
80. Michael Tonge failed to score once in 2014. Where was his last United goal scored?
81. Who was the Championship’s player of the year for 2013-14?
82. How many goals did he score against Leeds that term?
83. Name the league winners and the two promoted sides in 2014.
84. Which three sides were relegated?
85. Which club scored the most goals in the 2013-14 term?
86. And who conceded the most?
87. At present, who is the Championship’s longest-serving manager?
88. Who is the league’s top scorers at present?
89. Which two sides lost twice to Leeds in 2014?
90. Which Championship player scored the fastest goal of last season?
91. Which Leeds legend will be 80 years old in 2015?
92. How many appearances did he make for the club?
93. Twenty years ago next month, Leeds signed a striker for £3.4m. Name him.
94. Including Neil Redfearn, how many different full-time managers or head coaches have Leeds had in their entire history?
95. Who was the first?
96. In which years did Leeds wear the iconic ‘smiley’ badge on their shirts?
97. United have made 85 loan signings since their relegation from the Premiership in 2004. Who was the first of them?
98. In 1970, Leeds came close to a stunning treble but finished with no trophies. Who beat them to the league title, who beat them to the FA Cup and who knocked them out of the European Cup?
99. In 2007-08, United amassed 91 points but finished fifth in League One. Why?
100. Leeds hold the record for consecutive clean sheets in league matches, recorded in 1928. How many did they keep in a row?
PLAYERS: 1) Rodolph Austin, Ross McCormack, Jason Pearce and Stephen Warnock. 2) Mirco Antenucci. 3) Huddersfield Town. 4) Gaetano Berardi, two. 5) Rodolph Austin. 6) Matt Smith. 7) El-Hadji Diouf. 8) Mowatt with five. Warnock has four. 9) Billy Sharp. 10) Giuseppe Bellusci and Sam Byram. 11) Marco Silvestri. 12) Stuart Taylor. 13) Reading. 14) Jason Pearce, 112. 15) European Under-17 Championship.
COACHES: 16) Nigel Gibbs and Neil Redfearn. 17) Accrington Stanley and Middlesbrough. 18) Swindon Supermarine, in Division One South & West. 19) Maribor. 20) 32. 21) Novica Nikcevic. 22) York City. 23) Bolton Wanderers. 24) 55. 25) Birmingham City. 26) Arsenal. 27) Jon Goodman. 28) Richard Naylor (Under-18s) and Leigh Bromby (Under-16s). 29) Jason Blunt. 30) Middlesbrough in 1996
TRANSFERS: 31) Rio Ferdinand. 32) Connor Wickham. 33) Tommaso Bianchi. 34) Ashley Barnes. 35) Andrea Tabanelli. 36) Jonathan Rossini, Frederik Sorensen and
Federico Viviani. 37) Wigan Athletic. 38) £1.6m. 39) Derby County. 40) 15. 41) Brian Montenegro. 42) Nacional in Paraguay. 43) Port Vale. 44) Nile Ranger. 45) Andre Blackman.
OWNERSHIP: 46) £11m. 47) Sport Capital. 48) The Giulini family. 49) 75%. 50) Massimo Cellino, Ercole Cellino, Edoardo Cellino, Daniel Arty, Salem Patel, Jinesh Patel. 51) Tim Kerr. 52) Wigan Athletic. Leeds lost 1-0. 53) £23m. 54) Shaun Harvey. 55) Matt Child. 56) Watford and Leyton Orient. 57) Nottingham Forest and Blackburn Rovers. 58) Nicola Salerno. 59) Benito Carbone. 60) Gianluca Festa
RESULTS: 61) Rochdale. 62) 1959. 63) 16-0. 64) Three – Yeovil Town, Birmingham City, Bournemouth. 65) Finished 15th with 57 points. 66) Huddersfield Town. 67) James Hanson. 68) Viitorul Constanta. 69) Sheffield Wednesday, Bolton Wanderers, Reading, Bournemouth, Watford, Ipswich Town. 70) Luke Murphy
GOALS: 71) Awarded two, scored one. 72) Scored against Ipswich, had a penalty saved by Charlton’s Ben Hamer. 73) Sheffield Wednesday at Elland Road. 74) Rodolph Austin against Reading. 75) Souleymane Doukara. 76) 28. 77) Stephen Warnock. 78) Middlesbrough, Blackpool, Barnsley. 79) None. 80) The John Smith’s Stadium (Huddersfield Town).
THE CHAMPIONSHIP: 81) Burnley’s Danny Ings. 82) None. 83) Leicester City were champions, Burnley and QPR were also promoted. 84) Yeovil Town, Barnsley, Doncaster Rovers. 85) Derby County. 86) Barnsley. 87) Rotherham United’s Steve Evans. 88) Daryl Murphy, Ipswich Town. 89) Huddersfield Town and Blackpool. 90) Blackpool’s David Goodwillie – after 15 seconds against Derby County
TRIVIA: 91) Jack Charlton. 92) 762. 93) Tony Yeboah. 94) 30. 95) Arthur Fairclough. 96) 1973-76. 97) Stephen Crainey. 98) Everton (league), Chelsea (FA Cup) and Celtic (European Cup). 99) Because they’d been deducted 15 points. 100) Nine.