Leeds United manager Brian McDermott has confirmed his coaching staff and players have received another chunk of their deferred wages from owner Gulf Finance House Capital.
Non-playing staff at Elland Road received their March wages in full last week, but McDermott’s backroom staff and playing squad agreed to defer 50 per cent of their monthly salary due to a row between GFH Capital and prospective owner Massimo Cellino over who is responsible for funding the club.
“I haven’t had a chance to speak to the players, but I’ve just been told that we get another percentage of our wages today,” McDermott told a press conference ahead of Saturday’s game against Wigan Athletic.
Cellino is currently awaiting the outcome of his appeal against the Football League’s decision to block his £25million takeover.
The appeal was heard on Monday by an independent judge who is expected to reach his decision by the end of the week.
The League is arguing that Cellino’s conviction for tax evasion in a Sardinia court earlier this month disqualifies him from taking control of Leeds under its ‘owners and directors test’.
Cellino has appealed against that conviction and his legal experts claim the Italian businessman is considered innocent until that appeal process has been concluded.
McDermott added of the wage payment: “It won’t be all of it, but another percentage (has been paid) and that’s just been fed through to me now.
“I think (Leeds managing director) David Haigh will come up and have that conversation with them (the players), probably tomorrow.
“All I can do is put that out there now. David came in the dressing room the other day and explained the situation to the players and I’m sure he’ll come up and do the same thing tomorrow.”
McDermott, 52, also revealed he had received abusive phone calls from fans following Tuesday night’s home defeat to Charlton, while Haigh had also been verbally attacked.
The Whites have lost five of their last six home games and have won only three league matches since December.
GFH Capital exchanged contracts with Cellino’s company, Eleonora Sport, to sell the Cagliari owner 75 per cent of the club’s shares on February 7 and the chaos that has ensued has clearly affected the club’s on-field performances.
“I know David has been attacked and I got some phone calls the other night,” McDermott added.
“They were late at night, very late at night, which is not right, whatever anyone would say it’s just not the right thing.
“I’m digging in. I’ve got a lot of resilience and you need it at a time like this. I’m definitely digging in.
“We all have to. It will change. You sit in that dressing room the other night and think (the players) think this is permanent, but it’s definitely not, it’s temporary.
“It will change and soon we will have some clarity at this football club.”