The Football League has approved Massimo Cellino’s return to the board at Leeds United, the club’s Italian owner said tonight.
Cellino told the YEP that the governing body had officially sanctioned his appointment as Leeds chairman, three days after the end of his disqualification.
The 58-year-old completed a suspension imposed on him by the Football League on Sunday and has resumed control of United ahead of pivotal summer.
Cellino held the position of president prior to the Football League banning him in January but he is now taking up the role of chairman.
Andrew Umbers - the financier who was named as chairman when Cellino quit the board - is vacating that role but remaining at Elland Road as a director.
Cellino’s disqualification was was the result of a conviction for tax evasion imposed on him by a court in Italy last year.
The Football League barred him from influencing the running of Leeds and required him to retake its Owners and Directors Test before allowing him to become a club director again.
But speaking this evening, Cellino told the YEP: “I have the permission. It came through today. I’m pleased they acted quickly.”
The Football League was asked to comment but is yet to respond.