Leeds United head coach Garry Monk says he expects the club to keep Charlie Taylor beyond the end of this transfer window and avoid a repeat of Lewis Cook’s departure to Bournemouth last week.
Monk praised Taylor’s attitude and said the left-back “has to be here” when the window closes amid doubts about Taylor’s long-term future at Elland Road. The 22-year-old is out of contract in a year’s time and he came under attack from owner Massimo Cellino who claimed last week that Taylor and his agent were refusing to respond to requests for talks about a new deal.
Leeds would be in line to receive compensation for Taylor if he left at the end of his contract next summer, though FIFA rules allow 23-year-olds to make a free transfer abroad, and Cellino has previously insisted that he planned to retain Taylor until the end of the forthcoming season.
West Bromwich Albion have been monitoring Taylor, pictured above, throughout the summer and the Baggies are one of several Premier League sides who are considering submitting bids before the window shuts next month.
Leeds sold Cook – the Football League’s young player of the year – in a £10m deal last Friday, another academy product who had entered the last 12 months of his deal.
Taylor, however, has been training with Monk in Ireland all week and he completed half-an-hour of Wednesday’s friendly against Shelbourne.
Asked if he expected Taylor to stay at Elland Road this season, Monk said: “For sure, 100 per cent. He has to be here.
“Charlie’s been great, he’s been fantastic in training and he’s very focused on what we’re doing. That’s not a problem.
“There’s no worries about it from my side and it’s business as usual. Charlie’s a big important part of what I’m doing.”