Leeds United 1-1 Liverpool - as it happened: Elland Road draw dominated by European Super League protests
Leeds United host Liverpool in the Premier League at Elland Road on Monday night under the LS11 lights - follow every kick with our matchday blog.
The Whites welcome the reigning top flight champions to West Yorkshire this evening for a highly-anticipated clash.
Headlines ahead of kick-off have been dominated by plans to implement a new European Super League.
Reports emerged on Sunday that the Premier League’s so-called ‘big six’ of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur intended to join a rebel competition.
Those plans were confirmed later that evening, with AC Milan, Atletico Madrid, Barcelona, Inter Milan, Juventus and Real Madrid joining as founding clubs with three more clubs expected to follow before the inaugural season.
Backlash to the plans has been fierce from supporters and pundits alike for the tournament which has been set up to rival the Champions League.
On the pitch, though, Leeds are set to face Liverpool this evening at Elland Road... follow all the latest with our LIVE blog below:
Leeds United v Liverpool - LIVE BLOG
Last updated: Monday, 19 April, 2021, 20:24
- Leeds host Liverpool on Monday night
- Whites sit 10th, Reds are sixth
- Build-up dominated by planned European Super League
- Kick-off is at 8pm in LS11
- FT - Leeds United 1-1 Liverpool
Here we go then
Teams are out at Elland Road! We have some actual football to watch now...
1. We’re underway at Elland Road... updates to follow.
Of course he is...
3. Firmino reaches a ball over the top before Meslier but pokes it behind for a goal kick. Leeds didn’t judge the long ball well. An early warning...
The protests rumble on
5. Save, fine save from Meslier from Thiago’s long range drive. Corner Liverpool. Leeds didn’t close him down at all in midfield. Slow start from Leeds so far.
7. The visitors have been far better in the opening exchanges here. Leeds scrambling a bit as Fabinho goes past too many men to create a chance inside the box. The ball falls at the back-post and Dallas wins a free-kick to relieve the pressure.
11. Milner fouls Harrison... chance to swing this in for Leeds. Liverpool have dominated all the ball without creating much in the last few minutes.
12. Offside flag goes up as a Leeds free-kick is curled in low and Bamford turns it wide. Liverpool went with a high line and it worked, just.
15. Jota with a shot eventually from the edge of the box which is blocked. Liverpool worked it well but Leeds held firm.
17. Costa had a coming together with Milner on the near side and the winger came off worse. Looks okay to continue for now.
18. An easy one. Both teams finding some success going direct. Llorente’s excellent ball for Costa was well controlled, he found Bamford but the striker couldn’t get hold. Meslier saves from Firmino’s effort at the other end.
Llorente with a big block
19. Big block from Llorente inside the box as Liverpool attack, Phillips down holding the back of his head. He’s fine. Liverpool have a corner, which is cleared.
21. Ball flashes across the Liverpool area from Harrison. Kabak slices it wide for a corner. Leeds had to deal with something similar at the other end just before.
24. Agh! Bamford in on Alisson, keeper gets a touch I think and it’s behind for a corner. Came from Phillips’ steal. Fabinho under no pressure at all just gave the Yorkshire Pirlo the ball. Wonderful chance but not taken.