Leeds United 0 Fulham 0: Chances go begging in second successive stalemate at Elland Road

Chris Wood's shot is saved by David Button. Leeds United v Fulham FC.  SkyBet Championship.  Elland Road.   15 August 2017.  Picture Bruce Rollinson
Chris Wood's shot is saved by David Button. Leeds United v Fulham FC. SkyBet Championship. Elland Road. 15 August 2017. Picture Bruce Rollinson
Have your say

ELLAND ROAD witnessed its second goalless draw in the space of four days as Leeds United and Championship visitors Fulham both squandered chances as part of a Tuesday night 0-0 stalemate.

The post saved Leeds when Ibrahima Cisse let fly in the first half while United’s Chris Wood and Fulham’s Sone Aluko later squandered one-on-ones.

PIC: Bruce Rollinson

PIC: Bruce Rollinson

The Cottagers looked full of pace and trickery from the off and Leeds had a narrow escape in the 12th minute when Stefan Johansen fired just wide from the edge of the box.

From similar range, Aboubakar Kamara’s fierce attempt was then deflected wide for a corner just two minutes later, from which Johansen again fired an effort the wrong side of Felix Wiedwald’s left hand post.

Fulham were then denied by the same post five minutes later when Ibrahima Cisse let fly with a delicious shot from the edge of the area that had Whites ‘keeper Felix Wiedlwald beaten all ends up.

Leeds were being outplayed but the Whites gradually got going with Pablo Hernandez and Samuel Saiz linking up well down the left hand side to raise the noise levels inside Elland Road.

And Leeds were then handed a golden opportunity to take a 32nd-minute lead when a gem of a through ball from Gianni Alioski released Wood in acres of space one-on-one.

But for the second game in succession the striker failed to beat an onrushing goalkeeper as Wood’s attempt to dink the ball over David Button was thwarted as the custodian parried away the shot with an outstretched arm.

Wood then finished superbly ten minutes later after a gem of a cross from Samuel Saiz but the striker had already been flagged offside.

The two sides continued to exchange blows at the start of the second half with Saiz looking particularly lively for the Whites.

Leeds were beginning to turn the screw and Luke Ayling fired wide as a 59th-minute free-kick dropped invitingly in the Fulham box.

United were then handed another good opportunity when Saiz was hauled down just outside of the area but Pablo Hernandez’s low attempt was easily blocked by a long Fulham wall.

The impressive Conor Shaughnessy then stood firm for a vital block to a dangerous Johansen shot at the other end before Saiz fired wide for Leeds from a counter.

Then it was Fulham’s turn to squander a one-one-one as Wiedwald produced a terrific save to keep out Aluko in a carbon copy chance of Wood’s.

Another fine tackle from Shaughnessy then averted danger as Neeskens Kebano raced clear before Leeds squandered a fine chance themselves as Phillips whipped a powerful effort from inside the area just wide.

The Whites went even closer in the 89th minute when substitute Stuart Dallas smashed a low shot which was deflected inches wide of the left-hand post.

Fulham’s Kebano then went mightily close when blazing just over in the first minute of added time but despite a plethora of chances for both sides, a packed Elland Road had to settle for witnessing a second goalless draw in the space of four days.

Leeds United: Wiedwald, Ayling, Shaughnessy, Jansson, Anita, Phillips, O’Kane, Saiz (Dallas 82), Hernandez, Alioski (Roofe 63), Wood. Subs not used: Green, Borthwick-Jackson, Bridcutt, Klich, Ekuban

Fulham: Button, Fredericks, Odoi, Ream, R Sessegnon, Cisse, McDonald, Johnasen, Aluko, Kamara (Norwood 76), Piazon (Kebano 35). Subs not used: Rodak, S Sessegnon, Djalo, Deun, Woodrow.

Referee: Darren Bond.

Attendance: 28,918.