Leeds United have rejected a transfer request from player-of-the-year Charlie Taylor and insisted that the defender will not be sold in this transfer window.
Taylor submitted a formal request for a move on Sunday evening but United said tonight that they were unwilling to consider offers for him and expected him to “play his part this season as the club pushes towards the top of the Championship.”
The 22-year-old’s future has been the subject of intense speculation with his contract into its final 12 months and no likelihood of him and Leeds agreeing an extension.
United owner Massimo Cellino, who sanctioned the £10million sale of 19-year-old Lewis Cook to Bournemouth last month, recently accused Taylor and his agent, Colin Pomford, of refusing to enter into talks about a new contract while club chief executive Ben Mansford said last week that Taylor “doesn’t want to extend his current deal.”
Leeds run the risk of losing Taylor for free next summer if the left-back moves to a foreign club but in a statement issued this evening, United insisted that Taylor would be staying at Elland Road for the time being.
The youngster is training as normal with Leeds this week and looks likely to start Sunday’s opening Championship match against Queens Park Rangers.
United’s statement read: “Further to recent speculation regarding Charlie Taylor, the club can confirm that a transfer request from Charlie was received over the weekend.
“Garry Monk and club president Massimo Cellino agreed at the start of the transfer window that Charlie would not be sold and therefore the transfer request has been formally rejected.
“The club has every confidence that Charlie will continue to conduct himself properly and play his part this season as the club pushes towards the top of the Championship. The club will not make any further statement on this matter.”
Taylor made his debut for Leeds as a teenager in 2011 having come through the club’s academy but more serious breakthrough followed in January 2015.
He has been a regular in United’s starting line-up since then and his consistent form, resulting in him winning the player-of-the-year award last season, alerted West Bromwich Albion, Burnley and other clubs to his possible availability this summer.