Leeds Combination League: City drop points but stay four clear at top

Leeds City Rovers are four points clear at the top of the Jubilee Premier Division after their 3-3 home draw to JB Celtic.

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 19th October 2016, 4:58 am
Updated Tuesday, 25th October 2016, 2:48 pm
Leeds City Rovers' Rob Halliday finds himself outnumbered by JB Celtic players. PIC: Tony Johnson.
Leeds City Rovers' Rob Halliday finds himself outnumbered by JB Celtic players. PIC: Tony Johnson.

After winning their opening four games in the league, Rovers already found themselves at the summit of the leading Sunday division, but with rivals Chapeltown Fforde Grene not in action, they had the chance to extend that lead.

The game did not start well for the home side as JB striker John Mallinson put his team ahead in the second minute.

Shortly after, the in-form forward wasted a chance to go two ahead as Rovers keeper Paul Diamond saved his penalty.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

And Mallinson may well have regretted that miss as two quick Jonny Daniels spot-kicks put the league-leaders ahead at the interval.

It did not take long for Celtic to draw level, as Mallinson made amends for the earlier miss by scoring from what was the fourth penalty of the game.

Nick Clarke latched onto Rob Halliday’s deft through ball to calmly slot home a third for Leeds City, but with 20 minutes remaining yet another penalty was awarded, as a defender saw red. Stepping up to level the game was the protagonist Mallinson, who smashed it past Diamond to seal his hat-trick.

And with Celtic in the ascendancy and pushing for a dramatic winner, Rovers held on to the draw to keep their unbeaten record intact.

In the only other game in the division, HT Sports continued their impressive start to the campaign as they smashed Horsforth Fairweather 7-1.

Barry Frankland tormented the Fairweather defence all afternoon as he struck four goals, along with two from Ben Thornton and one from Jason Davis.

In the Premier Division, leaders Kippax Sundays got themselves back on to winning ways after least week’s draw with second-placed Colton.

Away to ninth-placed Kirkstall Crusaders, they may have expected an easier game but could manage only a 3-1 win as Tom Davis hit a brace.

Colton kept the pressure on their rivals with a 2-1 win at Harehills WMC, Krystian Jaworski scoring his fifth goal in three games for bottom side WMC.

West Leeds Wortley moved away from the drop zone with a 3-2 win at struggling Garforth Sports and Social, whilst there were five different goalscorers for Chapeltown Fforde Grene Reserves as they beat Hunslet Parnaby 5-0. Though it may still only be October, the early signs are suggesting that New Pudsey will run away with the Division One title.

Away at mid-table Hare & Hounds, the league leaders were in rampant mood as James Allan scored a hat-trick in a 6-0 rout, which means his side have now won four from four.

It was a more pleasing result as Pudsey’s three main challengers all dropped points.

Second-placed Millshaw Park drew 2-2 with fourth-placed Bramely Town, whilst Chapel Allerton, in third, were unable to win at home to Moortown Albion as the sides shared the spoils in a 3-3 draw.

At the wrong end of the table, winless duo Commercial HQ and Oulton Athletic met in an early-season ‘six-pointer’ but Josh White’s goal for HQ was cancelled out by Chris Mawson’s strike for Athletic and the game ended in a draw.

With the mainstay of Division Two sides in cup action, leaders West Leeds Armley were able to extend their lead at the top.

However, the game against eighth-placed Halfway was a challenging affair as Elliott Heeds scored two for the visitors.

They may well have Ryan McQuade to thank at the end of the season though, as he came off the bench to score the all-important winner, after Mark Ferguson’s earlier brace in a 4-3 result.

In Division 3A, Original Oak are yet to earn a point and were beaten 4-1 by Republica Internationale. Pat Newton scored two.

East End Park WMC and New Moorside battled to a 2-2 draw, Aaron Dix netting twice for East End Park.

It was goals galore in Division 3B as Moortown Albion Reserves and Temple both secured wins.

At home to bottom side FC Retailers, Moortown won 7-1 as Ryan Huggins scored a hat-trick and Stuart Talbot a brace.

But Temple scored two more as the beat Millshaw Park Rangers Reserves 9-1. Matt Jennings scored three, and there were braces from Callam Gartland and Ryan McGregor.