It’s 11 out of 11 for Farsley Celtic Juniors but Horsforth St Margarets lose their record

Until last weekend, Horsforth St Margarets were able to remind Farsley Celtic Juniors that they were not the only unbeaten side in the Supreme Division, but that changed when Leeds Medics & Dentists stunned them 2-0.

Monday, 23rd December 2019, 3:12 pm
Andy Shields scores the opener for Farsley Celtic Juniors in their 5-0 victory over Drighlington. Picture: Steve Riding.

Goals from Jean-Marc Egue and Gerson Costa handed Horsforth their first defeat of the season, abruptly ending their five-match winning streak while lifting Leeds Meds up to 12th place.

Drighlington continued to show signs of improvement, but they have nothing to show for it after losing 5-0 to a ruthless Farsley side.

Craig Farrand scored his eighth and ninth goals of the season to help his side record their 11th straight league victory at the expense of a young, hard-working Drighlington side that sit second-bottom of the table.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Danny Lyons scores the second for Farsley Celtic Juniors against Drighlington.

Only eight Route One Rovers players arrived on time for their clash at Lower Hopton but, as a steady stream of reinforcements arrived, their victory became more convincing, with the match ending 5-1.

A depleted Route One side conceded in the first minute, but they levelled the game with a full complement of players before half-time, prior to Awais Khan completing his four-goal haul in the second half to condemn rock-bottom Hopton to another loss.

Plenty of sides will return to action fresh from Christmas next weekend, as Farsley look to continue their winning run against Steeton Reserves.

Littletown and Stanley United will hope to keep pace with wins over Route One and Athletico, while Lower Hopton have the tough task of visiting Horsforth.

Tom Ormondroyd scores for Farsley Celtic Juniors against Drighlington.

Alwoodley host Wortley, Drighlington visit Calverley United and Toller return to action following their captain’s serious injury, and are set to entertain Ryburn United.

Scott Burns’ hat-trick brought his season tally up to 16 goals, but it was five of his 16-year-old Middleton teammates who stole the limelight in their 4-1 win over Ealandians in the Premier Division.

Jamie Davis added the fourth as his side leapfrogged St Bedes to go top of the table. Another 16-year-old turned heads as Ethan Lee scored twice in Wibsey’s 3-0 victory over Shire Academics.

Lee has proved to be an excellent addition to the squad, with five goals in six games which have helped his side rise to fourth place.

The Premier Division delivered an interesting 0-0 draw between Morley Town and Collegians.

St Bedes’ playing squad were not entirely impressed to find a motorbike taking up half the space in the away changing room at Stanningley Old Boys, and were likely even less impressed by the weather conditions during their 1-1 draw.

Lewis Gittens found the net following the hosts’ opener, but the visitors could not find a second and thus conceded top spot.

Horsforth St Margarets Reserves ensured the competitive nature of the Championship continued, inflicting a stunning 7-3 defeat on PFC.

PFC risk falling out of the promotion chase with the four sides below them boasting games in hand, while Horsforth have risen to second place and threaten Leeds Medics & Dentists Reserves’ hold on the summit.

Dewsbury Rangers could have climbed into the top three, but were denied by promotion rivals Beeston Juniors in an end-to-end 5-4 thriller.

Arista Llewellyn scored a 15-minute hat-trick as Dewsbury came from 3-0 down to level the scores, but the second-half comeback was not enough for the visitors in the end.

Leeds Meds Reserves clung on to first place by continuing their fine form with a 3-0 triumph against Colton Athletic.

Dave Stead’s first-half double led Mount St Marys towards a 4-1 win over Ealandians Reserves.

It was their fourth win from four matches, but they remain seventh for now despite their perfect start to the campaign.

Braces from Alistair Lewis and Michael Omotayo helped Leeds City Reserves to a riveting 5-3 victory over Alwoodley Reserves in Division One.

A makeshift Norristhorpe side suffered the consequences of missing several key players in their 5-2 loss to Gildersome Spurs Reserves in Division Two.

Each of Scott Lightowler’s three goals last weekend proved to be vital as his Littletown side seized a gripping 6-5 win over Lepton Highlanders Reserves in Division Three.

However, Wortley Reserves continued their unbeaten run and have their sights set on the summit after they demolished Tingley Athletic Thirds 10-0.


Conor Firth was the hat-trick hero for Gildersome Spurs as they progressed to the semi-finals of the Wheatley Cup following a 5-3 victory against Woodkirk Valley.

Steve Wales’ double kept their Championship opponents at bay, despite a brace from Chris Swithenbank.

Hartshead enjoyed a thumping 7-1 victory over Tingley Athletic Reserves, while Wyke Wanderers progressed to the next round with a 3-2 win at Tingley Athletic.

Jordan Walker’s treble sent Whitkirk Wanderers to a 5-1 routing of Hunslet in the Leeds District Cup quarter-finals.

Ryburn United booked a Marflitt Trophy second-round clash with Steeton Reserves in dramatic circumstances as they overcame Toller on penalties after a 1-1 draw.

Hasaan Khan scored what looked to be the winner for Toller, until Chris Silkstone’s 95th-minute equaliser led to a 3-2 shootout win courtesy of two saves from goalkeeper Lewis Scott.

In the Barkston Ash Cup, Malt Shovel Reserves defeated Aberford Albion Reserves 2-1.

In the West Riding County FA Challenge Trophy third round, Altofts Reserves beat Fairbank United 3-1.