Huddersfield Town 2 Leeds United 1: Monk and Wagner see red as Whites lose feisty derby

HEAD coaches Garry Monk and David Wagner were both sent to the stands as Leeds United were undone by Michael Hefele's 89th-minute winner in a 2-1 loss at Huddersfield Town.

Sunday, 5th February 2017, 1:28 pm
Updated Sunday, 5th February 2017, 2:51 pm
Tempers flare on the touchline as Huddersfield Town manager David Wagner (left) and Leeds United's Pontus Jansson (centre) confront each other during the Sky Bet Championship match at the John Smith's Stadium, Huddersfield. (Photo: PA)

Huddersfield took a 25th-minute lead when substitute Izzy Brown slammed home Tommy Smith’s cross from close range with practically his first touch of the game.

Leeds drew level just eight minutes later when a Pablo Hernandez free-kick was headed by Kyle Bartley to Chris Wood who prodded home his 21st goal of the season.

But Huddersfield bombarded Leeds after the interval and bagged all three points when Hefele struck with a minute to go for a goal which sparked a mass melee on the sidelines which saw Monk and Wagner sent to the stands.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Huddersfield Town's Elias Kachunga (left) and Leeds United's Gaetano Berardi battle for the ball during the Sky Bet Championship match at the John Smith's Stadium, Huddersfield. (Photo: PA)

In their Sweden-esque yellow shirts and blue shirts, Leeds began brightly with Danny Ward forced to parry away a fierce low shot from Wood in the fourth minute before Huddersfield survived three quick Whites corners.

Huddersfield then attempted to build up a head of steam and it took an important clearance by Pontus Jansson to stop Collin Quaner breaking through on to Kasey Palmer’s through ball.

After Liam Bridcutt and Ronaldo Vieira both survived potential yellow card for fouls, United’s Luke Ayling then entered the book for a high boot on Chris Lowe, after which Huddersfield went close through Quaner in the 21st minute.

Palmer’s precise pass gave the striker an opportunity inside the box at an angle but his low drive was well stopped by Rob Green.

Leeds United

Huddersfield were then dealt a blow when they lost the excellent Palmer to injury after 24 minutes, calling for the introduction of Brown.

And within three minutes of coming on, Brown had given Town the lead with the substitute latching on to Tommy Smith’s powerful cross to slam the ball home from close range.

Huddersfield had gone close to taking the lead anyhow a minute earlier when Jansson hacked a clearance against Quaner who then saw the ball loop over Green and sail narrowly over.

Town continued on the attack after their opener with Leeds just about holding firm.

Huddersfield Town's Elias Kachunga (left) and Leeds United's Gaetano Berardi battle for the ball during the Sky Bet Championship match at the John Smith's Stadium, Huddersfield. (Photo: PA)

And just eight minutes after Town’s opener, United drew level when a free-kick on the edge of Huddersfield’s box saw Bartley head a Hernandez delivery to Wood who cleverly beat Ward before prodding the ball home from close range for his 21st goal of the campaign.

Huddersfield were incensed at the lack of an offside flag and the Terriers came roaring back with Elias Kachunga, Quaner and then Michael Hefele all going close to putting the Terriers back in front.

Leeds survived and were handed a potential chance in first half stoppage time through a free-kick on the edge of the Town box but Hernandez saw his delivery hit the wall and the opportunity was ended.

Leeds then began the second half on the front foot with Dallas attempting to lay on a tap in for Wood, forcing Huddersfield to desperately clear for a corner.

Leeds United

That corner then fell to Dallas whose half volley was blocked and cleared before at the other end a Bartley clearance was sliced narrowly over the Leeds bar.

Chris Lowe and Aaron Mooy then sent efforts well off target as Huddersfield began to press and Rajiv Van La Parra was inches away from latching on to a Kachunga cross for what would have been a certain goal.

Whites head coach Garry Monk then brought on Alfonso Pedraza for Doukara to give the Spaniard his Whites debut but Leeds were lucky to not immediately concede when Quaner fluffed his lines from Brown’s cross when ten yards out.

Leeds, though, immediately countered and Pedraza’s fierce drive forced a strong save from Ward.

Kyle Bartley was then booked for a foul on Kachunga before Green produced a solid save to keep out Mooy inn the 74th minute.

Monk then brought on his second deadline day signing Mo Barrow, on for Dallas in the 75th minute, but Huddersfield continued to dominate with Town sub Joe Lolley the latest to have a go when firing wide.

Town were then inches away from taking the lead in the 81st minute when a Christopher Schindler cross was bundled just wide by Kachunga, after which Monk took off Hernandez - who had just been booked - for Eunan O’Kane.

It was all hands on deck and Leeds survived an 88th-minute free-kick from Nahki Wells which hit the Whites wall.

But Huddersfield would not be denied a winner which arrived in the 89th minute when a low pass found an unmarked Hefele who could not miss from close range.

The goal sparked a huge melee on the touchline involving players and staff with Monk and Town boss David Wagner both ultimately sent off.

Jansson was also booked - becoming the fifth Whites player to be cautioned - and after eight minutes of added time an eventful derby was brought to a close.

Leeds United: Green, Ayling, Bartley, Jansson, Berardi, Bridcutt, Vieira, Doukara (Pedraza 61), Hernandez (O’Kane 82), Dallas (Barrow 75), Wood. Subs not used: Silvestri, Cooper, Coyle, Antonsson.

Huddersfield Town: Ward, Smith, Hefele, Schindler, Lowe, Hogg, Mooy, Van La Parra (Lolley 65), Palmer (Brown 25), Kachunga, Quaner (Wells 66). Subs not used: Coleman, Whitehead, Hudson, Cranie.

Referee: Simon Hooper.