Heavy Woollen League: Reserves net a couple of consolation goals but ultimately prove no match for St John Fisher's freescoring first team

Most teams in the Heavy Woollen Sunday League were involved in the League Cup and League Trophy last weekend.

Wednesday, 26th October 2016, 4:58 am
Dominic Simpson of St John Fisher.

St John Fisher took on their Reserves side and emerged comfortable 12-2 winners thanks to hat-tricks from Dominic Simpson, Matthew Bugg and Stephen Wales, a double from Irfane Khan plus a Noel Whittaker strike.

The Reserves replied through Jack Murphy and Ryan Higgins.

Also through to the next round are Woodkirk Valley where Christy Woods hit a hat-trick in their 7-0 win over Overthorpe Sports Club.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Woodkirk’s tally was completed by Gavin Huxall, David Murphy, Danny Barton and an own goal.

Tim Clarke, Sean Housecroft and Shaun McDaid all bagged doubles as AFC Chickenley won 6-4 at Birstall Cricket Club, who replied through Troy Bagshaw, Ryan Kerregher, Gaz Richardson and Dominic Carr.

Premier Division side Heckmondwike Sports Club had James Haigh on target but they were humbled 3-1 at Championship team Clifton Rangers.

Andy Bates, Andrew Pickles, Jonathan Walton, Neil Pickles and Lee Brooke all found the net as Woodman Batley Carr won 5-2 at Navigation, who replied through Lee Bennett and Craig Batty.

Adam Ali Ravat, Faisal Adam, Yusuf Akudi and Ismail Loonat all netted in Mount Pleasant’s 4-0win at Town Rangers.

Mirfield Town won 4-0 at Wellington Westgate thanks to a Chris Meeson double, plus strikes from Oliver Rounding and Elliot Smith.

In the Challenge Trophy, Roberttown Rovers were the day’s big scorers winning 8-1 at Overthorpe Sports Club Reserves.

Andrew Asquith led the way with a hat-trick with Dean Vernon, Matthew Bolton, Reiss Brooke, Taylor Biggins and Max Vernon also chipping in.

Joe Parry, Matthew Orme, Adam Swinden, Kieran Cooper and Ash Parkinson all found the net as Birstall St Patricks won 5-1 against Wike Horse.

Eddie McKay scored the consolation goal for Wike Horse.

Jonny Irvine bagged four goals and Jimmy Mortimer the other as Scholes Athletic won 5-2 at FC Liversedge, who replied through Paul Fryer and an own goal.

Saville Arms needed penalties to beat local rivals Old Bank WMC after their game ended 4-4 after 90 minutes.

Kieran Corley, Scott Ryan, Jack Baldwin and Danny Damen netted for Saville.

Old Bank replied to that tally through a Will Evans brace of goals, plus strikes on target from Robert Evans and Jason Evans.

Waqar Bashir hit a brace for Snowdon as they won 3-1 against Clifton Rangers Reserves, Bilal Mir hitting the other. Westgate 23 shocked Division Two leaders Wire Works after Alex Wilson and Jake Blackburn netted in a 2-1 win. James Hamlet hit Wire Works’ consolation.

In the only Championship game to be played, Hanging Heaton Cricket Club climbed to seventh spot after braces from Joe Jagger and James Keen saw them win 4-2 at The Yorkshireman.

In Division One Deighton WMC moved up to fourth place after Gary Price, Brenton Williams, Kedean Fogarthy and Darren Williams all scored in a 4-1 win at St Ignatius (Lloyd Bonsel).