Harrogate defender Burrell’s hat-trick delight

Warren Burrell, right
Warren Burrell, right
Have your say

Warren Burrell hit a hat-trick from centre-half as Harrogate Town came from behind to beat Aldershot at the CNG Stadium, completing a first ever National League double.

The visitors arrived in North Yorkshire without a win in six matches, though they began the afternoon brightly and were ahead in the 14th minute, Tom McDonnell ramming home Luke Wanadio’s cross from the left.

Gerry McDonagh’s delicate chip almost made it two soon afterwards, though Harrogate goalkeeper James Belshaw denied him brilliantly one-on-one.

Town then restored parity just past the half-hour mark, Callum Howe nodding Joe Leesley’s free-kick across goal and although Dominic Knowles was denied on the goal-line, Burrell followed up from close range.

The game was turned on its head nine minutes into the second period, Burrell meeting a right-wing Leesley corner at the near post and heading home.

The same pair then combined once again to wrap up the points as Burrell stooped to get on the end of Leesley’s free-kick and completed his hat-trick.

Jack Muldoon put a gloss on the scoreline when he notched number four in added-time, controlling Belshaw’s long ball over the top before confidently bending his 10th goal of the season into the top corner of the net.

Victory moves Town, who overcame the Shots by a 2-0 scoreline away from home back in August, to within four points of the National League summit.

Ten-man FC Halifax Town came from a goal down to earn a hard-fought 1-1 draw at Dagenham & Redbridge thanks to Nathan Clarke’s equaliser.

Josh Staunton was sent off at his former club after 35 minutes. Before that Town had edged the game and kept Dagenham quiet, but after it the Shaymen were forced to try to preserve a point against the odds.

That task was made even harder when Jack Munns scored on the hour mark, but Town’s fighting spirit was rewarded when Clarke rose brilliantly to head in a corner with 10 minutes to go.

Dagenham also finished the game with 10 men when captain Ben Nunn got a second booking.

A poor first half was only brought to life when Staunton was dismissed 10 minutes before the interval.

The former Dagenham man certainly lunged for the ball, and caught Alex McQueen near the halfway line after winning it.

The challenge looked reckless, but whether it was of sufficient force and malice to warrant a red rather than a yellow card was unclear on first sight.

Town could hold out no longer than the hour mark, when Munns found a yard of space on the left of a crowded penalty box, not helped by the again impressive Jacob Hanson’s unfortunate slip, and drilled a shot back across goal into the top right corner.

But the hosts were made to pay for not making more of their upper-hand when Clarke met Sellers’ corner with a terrific header at the far post.

Dagenham captain Nunn was then sent off for a second booking in added time.

In National North, Bradford Park Avenue remain three points clear at the top, despite being held 2-2 at home by Southport.

The visitors took the lead, before Jake Beesley and skipper Oli Johnson put Mark Bower’s side in front, but the Sandgrounders levelled to share the spoils.

Guiseley’s match at home to Hereford FC was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch at Nethermoor Park.


Farsley Celtic narrowed the gap on the top two in the Evo Stik Premier Division after beating top-six rivals Basford United 2-0 at Throstle Nest.

With leaders Nantwich Town being held 0-0 at home by South Shields and second-placed Scarborough Athletic going down 2-0 at home to Hyde United, goals from Jack Higgins (62) and Nathan Cartman (76) handed Celtic three vital points.

It takes them to within four points of Nantwich and one of Scarborough – with four games in hand on both.

Local sides continue to lead the way in First Division East.

Leaders Morpeth Town lost 4-2 at home at Cleethorpes Town, meaning second-placed Pontefract Collieries were able to cash in with a 4-0 success at Gresley, with Vaughan Redford’s sixth-minute penalty setting the ball rolling.

Glyn Cotton (24 and 60) added a brace, with Nicholas Guest completing the rout six minutes from time.

Tadcaster Albion climb up to third, thanks to a 2-0 win at top-six rivals Lincoln United.

Second-half efforts by Joe Lumsden (56) and Aiden Savory (74) secured the win.

Brighouse Town were also on the climb, moving up to fourth after a 2-1 Yorkshire derby success at Sheffield FC. Mohammed Ibrahim (7) and Aaron Martin (31) were on target for Town.

Ossett United also claimed all three points with a 3-0 home win over Stocksbridge Park Steels. Marko Basic (24), Aidan Chippendale (36) and Jack Vann (90) netting for ninth-placed United.

In NCE Premier Division, leaders Yorkshire Amateur were held 1-1 at home by Worksop Town with the visitors’ Steven Wankiewicz netting at both ends.

Joshua Garbutt scored a hat-trick in Knaresborough Town’s 6-4 win at Barton Town.

Bradley Dockerty hit four in fourth-placed Hemsworth MW’s 6-1 thrashing of hosts Garforth Town.

Lowly Harrogate RA threw away a two-goal lead to draw 2-2 at Athersley Rec’, while Thackley enjoyed a 4-0 win at Bridlington Town.

In Division 1, Nostell Miners Welfare were held 0-0 at home by Dronfield, AFC Emley lost 3-0 at Skegness Town, while Glasshoughton went down 3-1 at home to Worsbrough Bridge.