Guiseley fail to make most of their chances at Lincoln

Guiseley were left frustrated in their search to make it three consecutive victories on Saturday as Lincoln City recorded a 1-0 success thanks to a first-half winner from Chris Bush.

Monday, 1st February 2016, 5:16 am
Adam Boyes.

The Lions approached the Sincil Bank fixture following away wins at Dulwich Hamlet and Kidderminster in the FA Trophy and league respectively and had a host of chances to land their third win on the spin.

Their first chance arrived with just five minutes on the clock when Adam Boyes was put through on goal.

However, whilst being put under pressure by the hosts’ defence, Boyes was unable to get his effort on target.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Lincoln then had a good chance of their own which required Guiseley ’keeper Steve Drench to make an impressive save when James Caton fired an effort towards goal.

But just moments later the home side were ahead when a cross was whipped in by Greg Tempest and he was able to find Bush, who got his first of the season.

The hosts were nearly 2-0 up just before half-time when Drench was again forced into making a smart save when Bush this time had a shot which had to be blocked.

But Guiseley refused to throw in the towel and with just 10 minutes left the visitors looked to have grabbed an equaliser.

A quickly taken Nicky Boshell free-kick found Boyes who was ahead of the defence, but while Boyes converted, the effort was ruled out due to the forward being offside.

In added time, Guiseley again thought they had netted the leveller when Rob Atkinson was found in the area from a cross.

His goal-bound header had beaten the ’keeper but City defender Lee Beevers was in the right place to clear the ball off the line. Guiseley still kept pressing and with the last chance of the match James Hurst hit the side-netting.

The Lions sit 18th in National League, six points above the dropzone but having played one game more than fourth-bottom Boreham Wood.

Guiseley are back in action next Saturday at Dover Athletic in the FA Trophy.

FC Halifax Town are also on FA Trophy duty on Saturday, at home to Chester, and approach the fixture following Saturday’s 1-1 draw at home to third-bottom Welling United in the league.

Kingsley James fired Town into a 56th-minute lead only for Kadell Daniel to equalise 10 minutes from time.

In National League North, Harrogate Town squandered a three-goal lead to slip to a 4-3 loss at FC United of Manchester.

Strikes from Brendan Daniels, Lloyd Kerry and Joe Colbeck had Town in cruise control but goals either side of the break from George Thomson and Sam Sheridan brought FC United back into the game.

Two goals in two minutes, firstly from skipper Tom Greaves and then Sam Madeley, edged United in front before Town’s Louis Swain was sent off.

Town remain sixth and return to action tomorrow evening at home to 11th-placed Stockport.

Elsewhere, Bradford Park Avenue bounced back from their humiliating 5-0 thrashing by AFC Telford in the FA Trophy with a 1-0 league win at mid-table Gainsborough Trinity on Saturday.

Leading scorer Chib Chilaka netted the only goal in the 19th minute, reacting quickly when Trinity failed to clear a corner.

Avenue, who are 17th, host second-bottom Corby Town on Saturday.


Farsley Celtic romped to a 5-0 win at second-placed Northwich Victoria to move two points off the Evo-Stik League First Division North play-offs.

Chris Howarth’s 46th-minute header was followed by a Lewis Nightingale treble with goals in the 56th, 65th and 88th minutes. Sub’ Lewis Sugden also joined in the scoring spree.

Ossett Albion are fourth after a 2-1 success at sixth-bottom Droylsden. Albion fell behind to Ben Barber’s 50th minute penalty but Rob Bordman then hit a late brace.

Brighouse Town sit 12th after a 1-0 victory at home to fourth-bottom Radcliffe Borough thanks to Daniel Facey’s goal 13 minutes from the end. Ossett Town remain third-bottom after a 5-1 loss at home to mid-table Clitheroe. Town were 5-0 down by the time David Brown netted a late consolation from the penalty spot.

In the Premier, full-back Thomas Davies scored twice in Frickley Athletic’s 2-2 draw at Salford City.

In the NCE Premier, title-chasing Tadcaster Albion were 4-1 winners at home to Worksop Town thanks to goals from Adam Baker and Jimmy Beadle followed by a late brace from Josh Greening.

Pickering Town beat visiting Clipstone 3-2 with strikes from Callum Ward, Joe Danby and Nathan Kamara while efforts from Vaughan Redford and Tom Jackson gave Liversedge a 2-2 draw at Parkgate.

Thackley saw off visiting Nostell Miners Welfare with goals from Joe Brown and Ben Beckles but a Spencer Lund strike was in vain for Garforth Town who lost 4-1 at home to Retford United. Brad Kerr’s late penalty failed to save Pontefract Collieries from a 2-1 loss at Handsworth Parramore.

In Division One, Bradley Walker struck four times and Gary Collier twice as Knaresborough Town romped in 6-0 at Yorkshire Amateur.

Leaders Hemsworth Miners Welfare beat visiting Selby Town 5-2 with a Danny Critchlow brace plus goals from Shane Kelsey, Harry Viggars and a Jason Yates penalty in the face of replies from Chris Jackson and Luke Thompson.

Jack Owen and Jamie Williams struck as Glasshoughton Welfare won 2-1 at Hall Road Rangers.