Guiseley collect first point but Town held

GUISELEY finally gained their first point of the season at the eighth time of asking through Saturday's goalless draw at home to Braintree Town.

By The Newsroom
Monday, 5th September 2016, 5:04 am
Harrogate Town's John-Paul Pittman
Harrogate Town's John-Paul Pittman

GUISELEY finally gained their first point of the season at the eighth time of asking through Saturday’s goalless draw at home to Braintree Town.

Goalkeeper Jonny Maxted made his debut for Guiseley after joining on loan from Forest Green Rovers earlier in the week and was soon called into action as Craig Braham-Barrett raced clear, forcing the custodian to rush off his line and clear.

But the home side looked bright and produced some good passing moves, with their first chance falling to Jordan Preston who was found in the area on the angle before driving an effort just wide.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

In testing conditions due to persistent heavy rain, former Blackburn Rovers player Preston then went agonisingly close to giving the Lions the lead just before the break when his effort was tipped on to the post by Braintree ’keeper Sam Beasant.

While Guiseley edged the opening half, Braintree started brightly after the break with Jake Goodman being found in a good position but his effort took a deflection off Jake Lawlor and went wide.

Guiseley were then forced into a change when Oli Johnson was withdrawn after picking up a knock and replaced by Luke Porritt whose pace caused the away side problems.

But neither side was able to break the deadlock, with Braintree staying fourth bottom and the Lions still bottom but now with their first point.

Guiseley caretaker manager Adam Lockwood said: “I’m pleased with the way we played.

“We created some chances and at the back looked solid, so it is something that can be built on for the next few games.

“I felt we probably did enough to win the game. We looked solid, we have improved game by game and the next step is to continue and get a run going.”

Guiseley are still six points off safety and return to action next Saturday at home to third-bottom Woking.

North Ferriby United are fifth bottom after Saturday’s 2-0 loss at Eastleigh who struck through Andy Drury and Reda Johnson.

Ferriby are back in action at home to 15th-placed Maidstone United on Saturday.

In National League North, high-flying Harrogate Town were denied victory by a last-gasp penalty in a 2-2 draw at home to Curzon Ashton.

Town led 2-0 after 31 minutes through a Jon-Paul Pittman brace but were pegged back by a Matthew Flynn strike before the interval and then Niall Cummins’ last-minute penalty.

Town are now two points behind new leaders Salford City and return to action tomorrow night at home to 12th-placed FC United of Manchester.

Bradford Park Avenue dropped to second bottom after a 2-0 loss at seventh-placed Brackley Town who struck through James Armson and Luke Graham.

Avenue visit fifth-bottom Boston United tomorrow night.

FC Halifax Town are eighth after Saturday’s 2-1 win at Telford, achieved through goals from Richard Peniket and Nathan Hotte.

The Shaymen visit leaders Salford tomorrow night.


TADCASTER Albion marched into the second qualifying round of the Emirates FA Cup after Saturday’s 3-2 triumph at brave NCE League hosts Pontefract Collieries.

Newly-promoted Evo-Stik League outfit Albion raced into a 2-0 lead after 31 minutes through a brace from Connor Sellars, before Jordan Turner pulled one back for the hosts four minutes before the break. Charlie Binns restored Tadcaster’s two-goal cushion eight minutes into the second period but Kieran Hirst’s effort 12 minutes from time set up a tense finish.

Farsley Celtic stormed through with a 3-0 success at Sheffield. James Walshaw bagged a double including a penalty before Lewis Nightingale added a third seven minutes from time.

Ossett Town face a Tuesday night home replay against Billingham Synthonia after late agony in a 2-2 draw. Town looked destined for progression when leading 2-0 just short of the hour mark through goals from Steven Ridley and Danny Frost. But Sam Garvie pulled a goal back eight minutes later and then earned a replay with an 86th-minute penalty.

Ossett Albion crashed out after a 5-1 hammering at Bishop Auckland as a James Eyles strike proved in vain for the visitors.

Brighouse Town had no answers to visitors Lancaster City who raced to a 3-0 victory. Louis Mayers gave Lancaster an eighth-minute lead and progression was secured thanks to Jordan Connerton’s second-half double.

Frickley Athletic also exited the competition after losing 3-1 at Blyth Spartans who only bagged their third goal one minute from time. A Nathan Curtis strike nine minutes from time had given Frickley hope.

Whitby Town face a replay at Winsford United tonight after a 3-3 draw. Whitby led 2-0 through Matthew Tymon and Steven Snaith but were pegged back before Tymon’s second then gave them a 3-2 lead. Nathan Cotterill, though, hit a 75th-minute leveller

Recently relegated NCE League side Harrogate Railway’s run was ended after a 5-0 hammering at home to Consett.

But Bridlington Town progressed with a 2-0 triumph at Newcastle Benfield thanks to second-half strikes from Andrew Norfolk and Brett Agnew.


LIVERSEDGE stayed top of the Premier Division on goal difference with a fine 5-0 cruise at Barton Town Old Boys.

Vaughan Redford’s brace was supported by a goal each from Rhys Davies, Joe Walton and Mathias Britton.

Cleethorpes Town stayed hot on Liversedge’s heels in second with a 4-0 triumph at Hemsworth Miners Welfare who drop to fourth.

Pickering Town rose to 11th with a 3-0 success at 15th-placed Garforth Town thanks to goals from Rusell Parker and Nick Thompson. But Thackley dropped to eighth after a 1-0 reverse at home to Albion Sports who are up to sixth.

In Division One, Eccleshill United dropped from first to third after suffering a first league defeat of the season in a 3-2 reverse at Dronfield Town who hit a last-minute winner.

Luke Harrop’s first-half penalty and a Marcus Edwards strike were in vain for the visitors.

Eccleshill are now behind new leaders Hallam and second-placed Hall Road Rangers on goal difference.

Seventh-placed hosts Knaresborough Town and Glasshoughton Welfare shared a 2-2 draw while sixth-bottom Yorkshire Amateur also drew 2-2 with visiting Winterton Rangers.

But Selby Town are 15th after a 2-1 home loss to Worsbrough Bridge Athletic, while Nostell Miners Welfare are fourth bottom after a 1-0 reverse against visiting Shirebrook Town.