Struggling Guiseley are hit for six at Aldershot

Adam Lockwood.
Adam Lockwood.
Have your say

Guiseley suffered their heaviest defeat since entering the National League when they crushed 6-0 at top-of-the-table Aldershot Town on Saturday.

This was always going to be a tough test for Guiseley against one of the favourites for promotion but the scoreline and performance left a lot to be desired.

Aldershot started very brightly and should have been ahead after 30 seconds when Matt McClure fired an effort goalwards which just deflected wide.

Bobby-Joe Taylor then thought he had scored for the hosts when he headed in but the offside flag was up.

The first goal was a real quality affair when McClure worked his way to the edge of the area and fired in a fine effort off the post.

Guiseley thought they had equalised when Frank Mulhern was found by a Kevan Hurst cross, but the offside flag was up.

The hosts were soon 2-0 up when Callum Reynolds netted a free header after a deep cross found the defender.

McClure then had an effort well saved by Jonny Maxted but Jim Kellermann was in the perfect place to score from a few yards out. It got even worse for Guiseley before half-time when Shamir Fenelon took advantage of miscommunication in the Lions’ defence to make it 4-0.

Guiseley needed to react in the second half but struggled, James Rowe added to the scoreline with his effort from 20 yards out going into the bottom left half corner.

McClure also grabbed his second and the Shots sixth with a simple finish after being found by a cut back, that was how a very tough day at the office ended for Guiseley.

Lions manager Adam Lockwood was extremely disappointed with what he had seen and called on his players to bounce back against Tranmere Rovers at Nethermoor tomorrow night.

“I want to apologise to the fans for what they have seen. There were too many individual mistakes. We could have tried to get a foothold in the game but it just didn’t happen. We have to bounce back – Tranmere at home is a game where I need to see that reaction.”

Elsewhere in the National League, FC Halifax Town remain without a goal or a win this season after drawing 0-0 at Chester. The Shaymen were the better side on the balance of play and much improved from their first two games of the campaign.

But the niggling doubt over their lack of cutting edge up-front remains, with Halifax now waiting four-and-a-half hours for their first goal of the season.

In National North, Harrogate Town were held to a 2-2 draw at Stockport County after Jason Oswell’s second-half brace cancelled out Simon Ainge’s first-half strikes.

Two goals in the space of five minutes from Ainge, including a memorable volleyed first goal, put Town firmly in command at the interval, though County would come back strong. Oswell struck eight minutes after the restart with a clever near post finish, before pouncing to turn Sam Minihan’s parried shot into an empty net.

Bradford Park Avenue equalled their biggest league defeat for 15 years after being thumped 5-0 by fellow Yorkshire club York City.

Amari Morgan-Smith (2), Dan Parslow, Sean Newton and a Luca Havern own goal saw the Minstermen storm to victory in front of more than 800 jubilant away fans – matching the highest margin of league victory against Avenue since Worksop enjoyed a 7-1 Unibond Premier triumph in December 2002.