New Guiseley boss Cox starts his reign with point at home

Guiseley boss Paul Cox.
Guiseley boss Paul Cox.
Have your say

Paul Cox’s first game as Guiseley manager saw his side earn a point in 0-0 home draw against Eastleigh.

There were few chances in the game, but when called upon both goalkeepers impressed.

Jake Lawlor.

Jake Lawlor.

Recalled Guiseley forward Raul Correia saw his effort well saved with the first chance of the game, Eastleigh keeper Graham Stack did well to get a hand on the shot to palm it away.

Eastleigh soon had an opportunity of their own when new signing Gary McSheffrey who only joined from Doncaster Rovers on Thursday, saw his drive go straight at the hosts’ stopper Joe Green who was able to block the effort.

Neither side was able to make a significant breakthrough as they both pressed forward looking to score the opening goal. Possession was kept in the middle of the pitch for large spells during the first half.

The second half was again an even affair, with both managers making changes as they looked to gain the advantage. Frank Mulhern almost got on the scoresheet shortly after coming on when his strike on the half-volley through a crowd of players was saved by Stack.

Mulhern continued to cause problems for the hosts and he worked his way into the area but his effort on the angle was hit straight at Stack who did well to keep hold of the ball, with players waiting for the rebound.

With added time approaching, the hosts had one final chance when a ball into the area fell to Jake Lawlor who from six yards out, fired over when the ball had sat up right for him.

In added time there was one final chance and it fell to Craig McAllister but his curling effort was tipped away by Green.

Speaking after the draw Cox said: “I think we have a lot to build on. I asked the group to do quite a bit from just two sessions with them. Our decision making will improve but overall I’m pleased with how the lads have done.”

Elsewhere, two goals from Matty Kosylo helped move FC Halifax Town into the play-off places as they beat Maidenhead 3-2 at the Shay.

Adam Morgan converted Josh Macdonald’s cross to give Town a slender half-time lead, but Kosylo’s double after the break put the result beyond doubt, despite Jake Goodman’s effort for the away side and an even later goal by Sean Marks, but it was too little, too late by then.

Harrogate Town, meanwhile, returned to the top of the National North table after goals by George Thomson (2), Jake Wright, Terry Kennedy and Jack Emmett sealed a stylish 5-1 triumph at Telford. Striker Wright was making his debut on loan from Sheffield United.

Bradford Park Avenue are unbeaten in six games, but could only draw 1-1 with 10-man Nuneaton. Oli Johnson levelled after Tom Elliott’s opener but, after Joel Dielna was sent off, Nicky Wroe blazed over from the penalty spot.