Bromley 2 Guiseley 0: Goldberg’s double enough to sink Lions

Mark Bower.
Mark Bower.
Have your say

TWO second-half goals from Bradley Goldberg were enough to earn Bromley a 2-0 victory over Guiseley in the Vanarama National League on Saturday.

After their encouraging midweek draw with Tranmere Rovers, the Lions struggled to create clear cut chances and were then made to pay in the second half by the hosts.

The first half lacked real chances as the conditions and the fact both sides were cancelling each other out played a part.

Both sides had one key opportunity during the opening 45 minutes, the hosts had the best effort when Moses Emmanuel produced a smart turn, but his shot went just over the top of the crossbar.

Guiseley’s chance fell to Liam Dickinson who saw a free-kick go over the top of the bar, in what was the best effort the visitors could muster up and at the end of the first half it was rightly still goalless.

Bromley started the second half brightly when Rohdell Gordan was found in the area, his first shot was saved well, but he then somehow missed the follow up. Bromley took the lead when Goldberg was able to get a good connection on his header, which proved too much for Dan Atkinson.

Goldberg then wrapped up the win for the hosts when he delivered a fine effort which curled into the top corner of the goal.

Guiseley tried to push up late on, but they were not able to create a clear cut chance which could have halved the deficit and given them something to build on.

Lions manager Mark Bower admitted the hosts’ opening goal was the crucial moment of the game.

He said: “The pitch was bobbly, nothing really happened in the first half, the moment they get the first goal, it is difficult and then they were able to pick us off.”

Next up for Guiseley is home clash against third-placed Grimsby Town tomorrow night.

Harrogate Town missed the chance to keep up the pressure on their promotion rivals as they lost 1-0 at home to struggling Telford United in National League North.

Telford grabbed the winning goal in first-half injury time when Mike Grogan was found from a cross and his header sneaked into the net.

The result means Town drop to fourth place in the table, 12 points behind leaders Solihull Moors but with a game in hand.

Bradford Park Avenue are now four points above the drop zone following their 0-0 draw at Brackley on Saturday.

FC Halifax Town have one foot in the FA Trophy final following their 4-2 semi-final first leg victory at Nantwich Town.

Halifax’s goals came from Scott McManus, Waide Fairhurst and two from Jordan Burrow, although goals from Sean Cooke and Matty Kosylo just about kept Nantwich in the tie.


Ossett Albion remain in play-off contention in First Division North following a 4-3 home victory over Mossley.

Connor Brunt gave the home side a fifth-minute lead but the visitors turned things round to lead 3-1 with goals from Tom Pratt, Dave Short and Andy Keogh.

Scott Kerr started Albion’s comeback on 67 minutes and then Dominic Riordan equalised three minutes later, with Nick Matthews grabbing the winner on 77 minutes.

It’s as you were at the bottom of the table as Ossett Town and Harrogate Railway both slipped to defeats.

Third-bottom Town battled hard but lost 2-1 at Warrington Town. Danny Frost put the visitors in front after 12 minutes but Ged Kinsella equalised on the half-hour mark and then Ciaran Kilheeney scored the winner just two minutes later.

Second-bottom Railway lost 3-1 at home to Lancaster City. Lawrence Hunter scored Railway’s goal from the penalty spot.

Farsley Celtic cruised to a 4-1 victory over basement-side New Mills. Lewis Nightingale scored twice for Farsley while the other goals came from Aaron Hardy and a Jonathan Rand own goal.

Brighouse Town went down 4-3 at Droylsden. Town’s goals came from Daniel Facey (2) andMartin Allison.

In the Premier Division, mid-table Frickley Athletic earned an excellent 1-1 draw at fifth-placed Stourbridge.

Luke Hinsley gave Frickley the lead on 24 minutes, tucking the ball past Matt Gould. The Glassboys were level at the start of the second half as Karl Hawley finished calmly from Kristian Green’s pass.

Whitby Town moved within a point of safety with a crucial 2-0 home victory over next-to-bottom Colwyn Bay.

David McTiernan and Andrew McWilliams scored the goals before half-time.

In First Division South, Goole AFC were defeated 2-1 at Market Drayton Town – Nathan Joynes scored Goole’s goal.


Tadcaster Albion remain a point clear of Handsworth Parramore with a game in hand at the top of the Northern Counties East League Premier Division following a 5-0 victory over Retford United.

Jimmy Beadle was the Albion star, netting a 15-minute hat-trick in the first half. Albion put some gloss on the victory in the final few minutes as Josh Greening and Josh Barrett also got on the scoresheet.

Third-placed Bridlington Town lost ground on the top two after they could only draw 1-1 at home to bottom-side Liversedge. Antony Hilton opened the scoring for Liversedge before Chris Adams equalised.

Two goals from Mitchell Hamilton and one from Matthew Turnbull helped sixth-placed Pickering Town defeat Armthorpe Welfare 3-2.

Garforth Town recovered from conceding two early goals to earn a 2-2 home draw with Maltby Main. Greg Kidd and Tim Robertson netted Town’s goals late in the first half.

An 80th-minute goal from Nigel Danby earned Pontefract Collieries a 1-1 draw with fellow strugglers Nostell Miners Welfare. Steve Smith opened the scoring for Welfare who remain second bottom and three points from safety.

Hemsworth Miners Welfare maintained their 11-point lead at the top of Division One with a 2-2 draw at home to Hallam. Micah Bishop claimed a late equaliser for Hallam, having earlier given his side the lead. Hemsworth’s goals came from Cameron Clark and Shane Kelsey in the second half.

A hat-trick from Kieran Ryan and a strike from Michael Tunnacliffe ensured fourth-placed AFC Emley cruised to a 4-0 victory over Dronfield Town.

Knaresborough Town suffered a setback at home, going down 3-1 to Eccleshill United – Jonty Maullin scored Town’s goal on 61 minutes.

Yorkshire Amateur were 6-3 winners against Rossington Main with Joel Hughes netting four goals. Matthew Thompson and Thomas Rose scored the other two.

A 79th-minute Cieran Gibson own goal meant Selby Town had to settle for a 2-2 with AFC Mansfield. Dane Mortimer and Daniel Gray netted for Town.

A successful 90th-minute penalty from Antony Clarke proved a mere consolation for Glasshoughton Welfare who were defeated 5-1 at Bottesford Town.