FA Sunday Cup: Seacroft storm into Sunday Cup second round

seacroft wmc STORMED into the second round of the prestigious FA Sunday Cup as Chapeltown Fforde Grene and St John Fisher Old Boys were left ruing tough opening assignments against Merseyside big guns, writes LEE SOBOT.

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 19th October 2016, 5:17 am
Updated Tuesday, 25th October 2016, 5:31 pm
Luke Sharry shoots for Fforde Grene in the 2-1 defeat to Mayfield FC.
Luke Sharry shoots for Fforde Grene in the 2-1 defeat to Mayfield FC.

Fforde have a rich tradition in what is essentially the FA Cup for Sunday football but suffered a first-round exit after Sunday’s 2-1 defeat to Mayfair at Yorkshire Amateur FC. Cameron Lyn netted for Grene but it is Mayfair who advance to the next round.

Heavy Woollen League top dogs St John Fisher faced a similarly tough tie at home to Liverpool powerhouses Pineapple and eventually lost an epic game 7-3.

But there was no stopping Fforde’s fellow Leeds Combination League outfit Seacroft WMC who eased to a 3-0 victory at Wakefield Sunday League outfit Woodman Sports Club. Liam Robinson’s brace was supported by a Scott Jones strike. Castleford Sunday League side Ferrybridge Progressive’s clash at Oakenshaw was postponed.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Elsewhere, Bradford side Thornton United progressed with a 5-3 victory at home to Kennelwood after a 2-2 draw after 90 minutes while West Bowling AFC beat visiting Queens Park 2-0. Wakefield Sunday League side New Sharlston Welfare were awarded a home walkover against Colton who withdrew.

Sunday also saw a spate of District Cup action with Main Line Social 5-1 winners at home to Beechwood Sundays in the only Leeds & District FA Sunday Senior Cup game played, a delayed tie in the first round. Macauley Milburn’s strike was in vain for the visitors.

In the first round of the Sunday District Cup, East Leeds Celtic squeezed past hosts Halton 5-4 on penalties following a 4-4 draw after extra time. Joe Phillips bagged a regular double or Celtic, supported by a goal each from Daniel Smith and Luke Rudd.

Corpus Christi enjoyed a 3-2 defeat of higher league visitors East Leeds Celtic. A goal each from Karl Dixon, Joe Farrell, Liam Atwood and Kane Woods put Christi in the next round.

South Seacroft battered visiting Sporting Pudsey 10-1. Matty Durrans bagged the solitary strike for Pudsey.

Pendas Arms also hit double figures as they sauntered to a 10-1 triumph at West Leeds.

Oulton Athletic were awarded a home walkover against Commercial HQ, with Pudsey Athletic progressing in the same manner against Gipton. In highlights of round one of the Sunday Jubilee Cup, Wortley Knights battered hosts FC Armley 8-0. Alin Gerota’s treble was supported by braces from Mark Binns and James Murray plus a Jamie Towson strike. Halfway House Bramley also breezed to a 7-2 success at Bramley Villagers.

James Penman bagged a treble with Joe Standing, Dean Last, Andy Taylor and Kurtis Heyes all notching a goal each.

Bramley Town Reserves were the round’s other high scorers in beating visiting Old Town Hall 7-1.