Chris Sang and Lee Shaw seal derby win for Guiseley over Farsley Celtic

Guiseley gained the three points and the Boxing Day bragging rights after beating Farsley Celtic 2-0 at Nethermoor in National League North.

Thursday, 26th December 2019, 6:37 pm
Brad Nicholson of Guiseley gets the better of Luke Parkin of Farsley Celtic. Picture: Steve Riding.

The visitors had the first chance when a nice one-two between Luke Parkin and Dave Syers saw the former hit a shot just outside the area, it lacked the necessary power though and was saved.

The even start saw Guiseley produce their opening opportunity after 20 minutes when Hamza Bencherif saw his flicked header go just wide of the right-hand post.

Farsley would go even closer when Parkin fired a shot wide after a goal-mouth scramble.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Nathan Cartman of Farsley is closely marked by Reiss McNally of Guisley.

The best chance of the opening 45 minutes fell to Brad 
Nicholson who connected well with a header but Elliot Wynne in the Celtic goal tipped the ball over the crossbar.

With the match being so even it felt like a moment of magic would be needed to break the deadlock and that’s what led to the opening goal as Chris Sang – on his home debut for Guiseley – duly delivered some real quality.

The striker collected an underhit clearance by Wynne and after taking a touch from 30 yards out he picked his spot and found the top right-hand corner.

There were few chances going into the latter stages of the match and with Farsley pushing players forward Guiseley broke away and substitute Lee Shaw was in the right place to chip Wynne and ensure the win was secured for the Nethermoor Park side.

Dave Syers and Matt Regan combine to head wide for Farsley Celtic.

Speaking after the game Guiseley joint-manager Marcus Bignot was delighted with his side’s display.

“It was a good performance,” he said. “As a group we worked hard and had that bit of quality for the goals as well.”

Farsley boss Adam Lakeland called on his side to start another unbeaten streak.

He said: “We have been on a good run and the first goal is a good strike. We know we haven’t got long to wait for the next game.”

These two teams will meet again on New Year’s Day, with Guiseley facing York City and Farsley Celtic taking on Bradford Park Avenue on Saturday.

Elsewhere in National League North, basement-side Bradford PA lost 2-0 at home to high flying York City.

A brace from Jack Muldoon and efforts from Lloyd Kerry, and Josh Falkingham ensured Harrogate Town defeated Hartlepool United 4-1 in the National League.

After a first half with few chances, Town turned on the style in the second half, scoring three times in a 15-minute spell to put them in full control of the match.

Nicke Kabamba’s goal for Hartlepool looked like it could set up a nervy finish, but Muldoon’s audacious stoppage time finish sealed an impressive win for Town which moves them up to fourth place in the table, just five points off leaders Barrow.

Elsewhere, FC Halifax Town were thrashed 5-1 by Stockport County on a miserable Boxing Day afternoon at Edgeley Park.

Liam McAlinden scored Halifax’s goal and it’s now two wins in 13 games for Town, whose confidence looks paper-thin.